Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Damaged cable box - did my neighbour do this?

Dear engineers / community help

I have been using the website but cannot find how to report this issue or even the contact details to message the help team.

I have been at a property which had pre-existing fibre broadband which has been working since. The broadband was connected in an old outside box (has the NTL logo).

I have noticed that someone has forcefully removed the outside of the box, breaking it and exposing all the cables. I suspect that this was someone installing broadband on my neighbours property as theirs is now connected.

IMG_20201023_113803966.jpg

I would be grateful to know if:

1. If this is allowed for my neighbours to be connected to my box & whether that is standard practice.

2. Whether a replacement box can be installed ASAP as the exposed cables seem to be experiencing weathering /rain damage

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Damaged cable box - did my neighbour do this?

Yes the Box can be used for neighbouring connections.

To get the damage repaired you can either phone in (08:00 is the best time) or wait on here for a few days (6 to 7 days average) until one of the VM Forum Staff comes along.

If you wait on here Do Not bump the thread it will put it further down the VM 'to do list'.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The neighbouring property or at least the engineer should ask you if it's OK to use your box as a polite request before doing so however. At the end of the day it's vm equipment but they should still ask. The neighbour should also eventually be moved onto a dedicated cable as this is only ever a temporary fixture. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Z92 wrote:

The neighbour should also eventually be moved onto a dedicated cable as this is only ever a temporary fixture. 

My pal was "temporarily connected" to his neighbours box for ~5 years until he left for another ISP 😎

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

@Z92 wrote:

The neighbour should also eventually be moved onto a dedicated cable as this is only ever a temporary fixture. 

My pal was "temporarily connected" to his neighbours box for ~5 years until he left for another ISP 😎

There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

@Z92 wrote:

Yes, it seems that unless you nag at them they seem to "forget" to complete the install, conveniently 🙂 

That said, I fixed the internet to my PC once using tape thinking I'd buy a new cable soon, that was like several years ago 😂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the responses - I was wondering if the neighbours are 'stealing my internet'

I'll just wait until this thread catches a VM mods eye?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi jaimes72, 

Thank you for posting to the Community and apologies for the delay in response. 

i have gone ahead and scheduled a technician to visit and repair the box outside your home. 

i am unable to confirm the appointment on the thread but you will be able to access this information via your online account here: virg.in/myVM

Our staff will not need to enter your property but if you have any concerns or questions, please do not hesitate to let us know. 

Thanks 

Nat
0 Kudos