Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Damage to Shop Front During Installation

On 19th Mar an installation engineer installed broadband cabling into my retail premises in Barnes, SW London and whilst doing so caused damage to the external wooden panelling. He drilled through the wall from the inside of the shop outwards. Drilling through the middle of an external wooden panel. He made no attempt to seal or repair the splintered wood around the hole and just fed the cable through.

I wasn't there at the time, only my builders, so couldn't take this up with him after it had been done. I do have a photo of the damage taken when I was next at the premises.

I needed to get this fixed ASAP in case it rained and the moisture caused further damage to the wood so requested a quote for the repair work from my builders, which was £400.

I called Virgin Media Business on 30th Mar to take this up with them, spoke to Chloe Riozzi (Senior Customer Care Advisor) who told me she'd help with the matter and sent her the photos of the damage, which she requested.

I didn't receive a reply for over a week so emailed Chloe again on 8th Apr for an update.

No reply for another week so sent another email to Chloe on 15th Apr.

Gave up on emailing and called about a week later, didn't make a note of the name of who I spoke to, they chased this up for me whilst I was on the line and told me that the issue was still with Chloe who hadn't heard back from the installation company and had apparently contacted me to tell me this. I however hadn't received any notification, email or otherwise.

Heard nothing again for another week or so, called back, this time spoke to a lady called Lisa, who chased this again, and told me that the records show her this matter had been settled and I had been informed. Neither of which was true. She told me she would now take the matter on herself.

Heard nothing again for over a week so called back and was finally told I would have to contact my insurers, raise a claim with them, who would then in turn raise a claim with Virgin Media's insurers.

Spoke to my insurers who told me that if I raise a claim and it's successful, I will have to pay them £350 excess of the £400 claim to repair the shop front and it may count against me as a claim, hence bump up my premium, when my insurance is up for renewal. If it is unsuccessful, i.e. they pay me £400 minus the £350 excess, but they can't reclaim this from Virgin Media, then it definitely counts against me as a claim and raises my premiums for next year.

I realise that the nuances of my insurance policy are nothing to do with Virgin Media Business. However I am hoping that someone there understands that I have already had to agree to pay my builders to fix this damage, which they have already done, as it has taken so long and I can't leave the shop front damaged. That it is a very difficult time financially for small businesses like mine, especially having taken on a new premises and renovated just before the coronavirus outbreak. And that if I follow the insurance claim route I end up £350 out of pocket for damage caused by a Virgin Media contracted installation engineer, not to mention the as-of-yet unknown increase in insurance premiums next year.

I am looking for some flexibility, tolerance and goodwill from Virgin Media with regards to this situation and simply ask whether this can be settled outside of the insurance claim process.

Many thanks, I hope everyone reading this is keeping safe and well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Damage to Shop Front During Installation

This is the support site for Virgin's domestic customers. Virgin Business is a separate operation so unfortunately you will not get any help here. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi to follow up on jpep1, also as this is a public forum and it involves a legal issue they will not comment on any "forum" which is an open discussion area. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for posting algis100

I am sorry for the issues you're being impacted by. However our community members have advised you correctly. This community is dedicated to residential services and we have no impact on Virgin Media business whatsoever.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos