Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Daily intermittent connection losses over last 6 months. Impossible to get customer service help

For at least 6 months I have had daily intermittent connection losses. I also get regular connection losses every day round 12.30 pm, usually for 10 minutes or so, but sometimes much longer.

I have tried many times to access customer support, but it doesn't seem to exist. 

On the rare occasions I manage to get in touch with a human, they never help me. They always just either promise a callback that never happens, give me a different number to call or text, that doesn't answer or respond, or they just hang up on me.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Daily intermittent connection losses over last 6 months. Impossible to get customer service help

By 12.30 pm do you mean lunchtime - or do you mean just after midnight (00.30)? I ask because VM often do their upgrades & network stuff between 00.01 and 02.00 - although these dont usually continue in an area for 6 months!

Is there evidence in the Hub's network logs at those times to show the drops?

Do the connection losses happen simultaneously on both wifi connected devices and those on ethernet cable connections? If you dont know can you test it.

In the meantime, if you haven’t already, set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” (as per instructions on the TB website) when you have the first 24h period.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Daily intermittent connection losses over last 6 months. Impossible to get customer service help

Hi John.

Do you work for Virgin Media? Or are you just a helpful customer?

I mean just after midnight, and yes, I suspected it was something to do with upgrades/network stuff, as other people I know in the same city also get connection losses at that time. And yes, it has been going on for at least as long as Covid-19. 

It doesn't just happen at that time of night though, it also happens randomly at other times.

I don't tend to use wi-fi, my PC is connected with a cable.  I have had the connection losses on multiple different computers, and I have swapped cables many times. Its definitely NOT a problem with my PC or my cables.

I have setup a quality monitor. I don't know how to access the logs in my hub settings, but I guess I can try to figure that out. I don't see why I should have to provide evidence to Virgin, they should have access to those records themselves. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Never worked for VM - yes this is a "Community Help Forum".

Post a link to the BQM when you get it going and try this...

------
In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon at top right (SH2’s) or text at bottom-middle of first page up (Hub3) and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

well thanks for getting involved, but before I start publishing data on this forum, what will that actually achieve? 

I want a reliable connection - if you dont work for Virgin, how can you get that for me?
I want a refund for months of intermittent connection - and again, if you dont work for them...
and I want compensation for the endless stress of trying to get in touch with Virgin Media staff. The last one I spoke to sent me here and promised the "team" would get in touch. They gave the impression this was another way of getting support..but now I suspect theres no-one from Virgin on here.. 

Im not sure I'v got the energy to jump through hoops proving to you (not a virgin employee) that I have a real issue, when you dont have the power to fix it for me or offer compensation or refunds...

I don't wish to be rude, and you are the first person to offer any help, but I am wary and I am tired of explaining things to people only to discover they cant actually help me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The people on here will tell you where your connection issue lays and how to get VM to sort it

But as you dont want any help from the community I will leave it here and you should call it in. The UK call center is still open and are picking up - I got through fine in 20' a couple of weeks ago. 08.00 is the best time to call

Or wait here and a VM person should respond within a week or so

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@angrycustomer30 wrote:

well thanks for getting involved, but before I start publishing data on this forum, what will that actually achieve? 

I want a reliable connection - if you dont work for Virgin, how can you get that for me?
I want a refund for months of intermittent connection - and again, if you dont work for them...

Just to clarify as you are new here...  If you search these fora you will see literally hundreds of posts from customers containing the data I asked for.  Forum members then will be able to spot where your issue lays and what needs to be done to sort it.

When we have identified it as a "real" issue that requires VM to resolve - rather than some issue with your own equipment or simple fixes we can see -  then  V.I.P.'S (e.g. me! - see a responders "profile") have the wherewithal to "escalate" issues directly to a VM person for their attention and quick resolution. 

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi angrycustomer30,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the broadband issue you're having. 

I have taken a look on our side and I can see an engineer appointment is required to resolve this. 

I will private message you so we can look into this. 

^Martin

0 Kudos