Menu
Familyguy999
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

DNS Error and unable to connect on Desktop

I have a desktop computer that I use connected to the 2ghz speed (the adapter won't connect to the 5ghz one) and although it is connected... it isn't. At first it would connect on average for around 2 minutes before every page would just not conenct, it would return DNS_ERROR_CHANGED or something similar. Now it just WON'T connect. I have went to every extreme I know including factory resetting the desktop entirely, I've tried editing everything suggested in the connections section but nothing. I am at a loss and now I have no way of connecting to the internet. I really need some suggestions on how to fix this. I hope to hear back regarding this soon.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: DNS Error and unable to connect on Desktop

Can you connect with an Ethernet cable?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Familyguy999
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Not possible where the computer is and I am unable to move it closer. It has to be able to connect via WiFi. I've also used 3 different WiFi adapters just thought I'd throw that in there. I was also getting the issue on my laptop for a while but I downloaded something that I can't find anymore since that laptop is broken, it was a Windows thing that was basically like the built in diagnosis tool but it did something with the dns and that genuinely fixed it for good on the laptop, I wish I could find what it was. I think it was something that sorted Mac and DNS issues that you would normally have to fix manually and so on. Anyway I truly hope someone can help me fix this because I'm stuck with my phone and I need the desktop for work

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You must get a length of Ethernet cable for testing as a lot of problems can only be solved by finding out what works (and quite importantly what doesn't work).

Can you run nslookup in a command window. Here's mine, yours won't be identical as I use 9.9.9.9 but it may be useful.

C:\>nslookup google.com
Server:  dns9.quad9.net
Address:  9.9.9.9

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    google.com
Addresses:  2a00:1450:4009:817::200e

Here's nslookup using VM's DNS.

C:\>nslookup google.com 194.168.4.100
Server:  cache1.service.virginmedia.net
Address:  194.168.4.100

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    google.com
Addresses:  2a00:1450:4009:810::200e
--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Familyguy999
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I had forgot about nslookup, my mind had went blank from anger with this. After trying it it only shows half of what you showed up to the end of my IP Address, why would that be?

I don't have an ethernet cable, definitely not of that length anyway, and due to my health doubt I'll be able to get one anytime soon so I guess I'm stuck with no internet access, fantastic.

0 Kudos
Familyguy999
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Running nslookup has retired a few different responses, none of them right. This is the most recent, sorry I'm just going to have to type it as I'm on my phone "nslookup

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

Default Server: UnKnown

Address: 192.168.4.100"

The thing that is bothering me is why is the K in unknown on caps in cmd, doesn't seem right.

Also I had a Windows pop up about DHCP not being on or something and asking if I wanted to enable it, upon clicking it the internet worked again, albeit only for 3 minutes, but that was the most I have gotten from it in the past week. I can't stress enough how much it is impossible for me to connect with ethernet, I can't move the desktop because of health issues and I don't have a long enough ethernet cable. Can anyone think of ANYTHING I can do

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

run in cmd
ping 8.8.8.8
0 Kudos