cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut cable

adyce
Joining in

My Virgin cable has been cut through in the front garden, no shielding present and buried only a couple of inches below the surface if that. VM have quoted £99 for an engineer to be sent out which I feel is excessive.

Potentially looking for a 3rd party engineer to come and look at it (north west area) or splicing it back together myself.

Anyone have a similar experience and have any recommendations for outdoor connectors?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

On the basis that @adyce may potentially be looking for a staff response here, I've moved this thread to the broadband-setup section which is staff-monitored. It was in the chatter section which VM staff on here tend to leave alone.

Calling into faults on 150 (from a VM phone) or 0345 4541111 (from any other phone) will be the quickest way to get this rectified, however.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The £99 charge relates to a non-fault callout.

If you've cut through your cable, then surely you're off-service? In which case that's a fault?

Your alternative suggestions are likely to cause other issues sooner or later.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi this is not a DIY thing nor should third parties be involved with this, only a virgin engineer. Regards Micky

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@adyce wrote:

My Virgin cable has been cut through in the front garden, no shielding present and buried only a couple of inches below the surface if that. VM have quoted £99 for an engineer to be sent out which I feel is excessive.

Potentially looking for a 3rd party engineer to come and look at it (north west area) or splicing it back together myself.

Anyone have a similar experience and have any recommendations for outdoor connectors?

there should be no charge - some agents get it wrong - just report it as a fault or come back here and staff will book a tech - as said its not a DIY repair and you cannot use 3rd party people

Tony.
Sacked VIP

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

On the basis that @adyce may potentially be looking for a staff response here, I've moved this thread to the broadband-setup section which is staff-monitored. It was in the chatter section which VM staff on here tend to leave alone.

Calling into faults on 150 (from a VM phone) or 0345 4541111 (from any other phone) will be the quickest way to get this rectified, however.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi adyce, thank for your post - sorry for the delayed response.

I'm also sorry to hear about what happened with your cable too. I wasn't able to check and see if this is sorted already using your forum details alone - so in-case you still need help I'll get in touch via PM, just look out for the purple envelope.

Tom

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to me Adyce. 

I've rescheduled the visit for a sooner one and made sure there are no charges for it - you'll find confirmation via your online account (virg.in/myVM) and can reschedule from there if needed.

Please let us know how you get on, or if we can help with anything else.

Tom