Menu
Azule34
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Could an adapter help this self install?

Hi 

I recently received a quick start self install pack as I've been told by the landlord that tenets in the past have used VM, and evident via Virgin media who've allowed me to try installing the broadband without the need for a techie. However the only two even remotely similar looking ports around the flat look like this, in which the Coax cable VM provided does not fit at all. 

20201222_173427-min.jpg

I traced a cable or two from the VM brown box outside to into one of the flats walls and can see that two cables enter the hole, both leading to what I can only assume is both of these two ports with one either side of the partition wall. And I was just wondering if a Type F to coax adapter (Which I know could cause signal degradation) could possibly work at all? I've arranged an engineer visit either way since I doubt this is what VM would have intended.

Any help much appreciated. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
paultechy
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Could an adapter help this self install?

that looks more like an antenna port, since normally the ports have virginmedia branding on them
0 Kudos
Azule34
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, it does however it's a fairly small flat and the only wire I can trace that comes from the brown VM box outside to one of the walls of my flat is a port that looks like this oddly enough. And I do know that some VM wires terminate at ports and sockets that aren't always VM branded for whatever reason. I was just wondering if the wires could even carry the same amount of bandwidth for broadband to see if an adapter was worth trying in either of the ports I have.  

0 Kudos
paultechy
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

one possible way to confirm is take the screws out both the brown and that connection point gently pull on the cable and see if it moves at either end, granted would need a second person there or a camera on record.
0 Kudos