Menu
Jaxo
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cooling off period

I recently got gig1. Since I took the package out I've had a lot of issues. Mainly gaming. I getting lots of lag, high ping times and dropouts on both wired and wireless connections and on Xbox, PC and Playstation. 

It is now day 13 since the package was activated and I've decided I would be just better of cancelling it and getting a BT based package.

I've looked at BT and the earliest date they can give me for installation is 31st December. What happens if I cancel within 14day cooling off period. Can i specify a termination date or will it just be cut off immediately? 

I do not want to keep a connection that is costing me over £100 a month if it doesn't work and trying to contact virgin support does not give me much confidence that I want go past my cooling off period and be stuck with them.

What can I do in this situation?

0 Kudos
Ryan_D
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cooling off period

It states in the T&C's that you must cancel on or before the 14th day.

You can not give a termination date, you would need to cancel today or tomorrow the latest.

Ryan

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

VoIP Telecommunications and IT Infrastructure Technician
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Note that getting through on the phone to cancel can be troublesome. You will have to be persistent. Calling at 08.00 gives the best chance of getting through quickly.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Jaxo
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure I can be without Broadband for a month. Seems like my only other option is to order something else and just cancel the Virgin Direct Debit after its installed. 

Bit of a no win situation. Yes you can cancel within 14 days, but if you do you will probably be without Broadband for up to a month if you do.

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You MUST cancel explicitly with Virgin Media.

Cancelling the DD is simply choosing not to pay.

This will eventually lead to the account being suspended and the debt, including early disconnection fees, being pass to debt collectors.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Have you actually asked for technical support to get the service working properly?  If you post full details of the problems here you will find people willing to help.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You can use your phone for broadband if you have a contract which allows tethering. 

I have VM as my primary broadband, BT as my secondary (they offered me £20/month for 40mbps connection when I asked to cancel, worth it this year during WFH in my opinion), and 12GB of data on my phone if both are down. 

0 Kudos