Menu
TalkySky89
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Construction Costs Preventing Installation

A few months ago I decided to purchase the Voom Option 1 bundle from Virgin Media Business with an optional phone line.

However, when I was visited by Virgin’s engineers the day before installation to check the property, they made me aware that there was apparently some kind of issue regarding how they would connect our house to the cables underneath the pavement outside even though there is a CATV cover directly outside the front door. They said that extra work would be required and they would be unable to complete the installation as planned on that day.

I was offered no explanation as to why this work was required and from my point of view (albeit I am not an engineer) this work seemed completely unnecessary. What they were suggesting was that we needed to be connected to a cover far down the other end of the street.

The area where I live is located is in central Edinburgh and in my street Virgin claim to offer every speed from 50Mbps all the way up to the new Gig1 speeds. However, currently there is still no Openreach Fibre available which means that if you want fast speeds then there is no other option other than Virgin. Most of the buildings around ours have Virgin Broadband (both consumer and business) because of this and none of them have had any issues with getting it installed.

After nearly two months with no communication from Virgin Media, even when constantly asked for updates by myself, they finally got back to me and quoted just over £2000 for completing the installation.

After contacting Virgin Media Business many times, I have now had to sadly cancel my order because they insist that the fee must be paid, leaving me with no fibre option and stuck with 8mbps from my existing provider. Before leaving this I still have a few questions which they were unable to answer and was wondering if anyone here would be able to answer for me:

Is this fee normal for an installation and would Virgin Media Consumer also try to charge me the same amount if I tried to buy a package from them instead?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Construction Costs Preventing Installation

afaik VM domestic install or not - if the install requires work that is outside budget they will simply walk away

if your property says it can be installed on the domestic post code checker then order it - you may get the same result - you may not but trying to ask the question of CS will draw long silences i suggest as they will be lost as its not on their script

Business and domestic are different although they share the same network but i doubt they share info - so nothing lost by ordering it - a bit of time maybe but it might all work

if it does work i guess you could switch over to a business line at some future date if you wanted

Tony
0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi there

I'll take a look for you. I'll send you a private message though to take some more details if thats okay.

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

VM Business lines use different cables to the domestic lines.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

There is no difference in the cabling, cabinets and CMTS, only hardware difference is Hitron router for VMB and hub for residential.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Not what the cable man told me last month when he pulled me a new cable.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo wrote:

hmmmm afaik the cable man is wrong - if you are on domestic and want a business account they send a new hub or deliver it - plug it in and thats it

Tony
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Back to the OP's problem: best thing might be to order residential broadband and VM will get the premises connected at no cost to the OP. Once it's working cancel within the 14-day cooling off period and place an order with VMB.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo wrote:

he is talking nonsense then.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
MabelMac
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I am having this exact problem now. How did this get solved? 

0 Kudos