Menu
pingproblem123
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Constant ping spikes since NOVEMBER (on Ethernet!)

3CA1227D-1CD1-4E20-B2B1-1ACD7D681180.jpeg

Since around November and December, I started noticing that I was having these random moments where my position would slightly shift in any direction.

I eventually figured out that was corresponding with ping spikes on my network, between my PC and the router (through wired connection). - SEE THE IMAGE ATTACHED.

This has basically been happening for around 6 months, it could have been December or November, I can’t quite remember but definitely one or the other. Ordinary browsing is fine and speeds are around 200mpbs.

The occurrence of this is not affected by how many people are using the internet in my home.

My setup is the Hug 3.0 router, an ethernet cable goes upstairs from the router to a switch, which myself and 2 others have cables coming from. The problem is still happening if I directly connect to the router and bypass the switch. Problem also still present on different devices, and different Ethernet cables. (I’m using cat5e at minimum, I do have cat6 also).

A few weeks ago I did a bit of researching and found that there was an update rolled out to Hub 3.0 routers around December time, which some people have said is causing ping spikes.

Anyone having the same issue? It’s extremely irritating. Not sure what to do other than a full on router replacement.

0 Kudos
pingproblem123
Tuning in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant ping spikes since NOVEMBER (on Ethernet!)

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post the link immediately.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
pingproblem123
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
pingproblem123
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Some peoples BQM look best then others one day and not the next depending on the QoS and people shared on Docsis.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The issue highlighted here seems to show ping spikes on the LAN side rather than the modem side.

If I've helped let me know 🙂

10 year's managing 9 Virgin Media accounts, and things never got any better, closed last 4 accounts since January 2021 :L

I give 'my' experience to help where possible.
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You will always have ping spikes with that address because the router is under-powered.

Your BQM shows slight over-utilisation that will probably improve when people return to offices and do less working from home.

pingproblem123
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

What is strange is that this ping issue only appeared as of late 2020. In summer 2020 etc I had no issues despite the load on the router being the same (same people working from home). The issue only appeared at the end of the year.

Z92
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Unless the software is same now as it was in Summer last year, then you can't say the load on the router is the same. For example, since then several features have been added including new WiFi thingies, any of which could cause the problem you state.

But regardless, ping spikes on the local LAN interface do not necessarily mean your service is impacted for other things. For example, you can get a ping reply from the hub of anything upto 1 second whilst you have received 10s of replies from other websites. You can even get to the point where the router simply doesn't respond at all, but your internet continues to work normally.

Therefore, the only reliable way of measuring ping response is via a site such as a BQM, which you have already posted.

0 Kudos