Menu
jka94036
Up to speed
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Consensus on Hub 3 Reboot Schedule

Hi, 

Given that one of the stock answers is to reboot the hub, just wondering what is an acceptable reboot schedule or if nothing appears to be wrong just leave it alone ?

thanks

John

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Consensus on Hub 3 Reboot Schedule

Whatever suits you.  Mine's on timer so it isn't running overnight so gets a daily reboot, some people leave on 24/365 and seem happy.

In theory, if the mains is clean, no gamma rays or RF corrupt the RAM contents or trigger incorrect processor instructions then you could leave it on forever.  In practice there's always a few things that might make a hub fumble, so choose for yourself.  A weekly reboot certainly isn't going to do any harm.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The only time mine reboots is if there is a power interruption or a firmware update. If you don’t have any issues, there is no point in “scheduling” reboots.

I leave mine on 24/7 as a VoIP phone connected.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Never rebooted my Hub3 and no intention of rebooting my Hub4. They have rebooted due to power interruptions, but that all.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

Never rebooted my Hub3 and no intention of rebooting my Hub4. They have rebooted due to power interruptions, but that all.

Ditto but Hub 3 only, don’t have a Hub 4  😊

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Hero
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Never reboot my Hub or own router unless there has been a problem.   We'll all have VOIP soon and will need it on. 

0 Kudos
Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I reboot my hub manually when I have problems, if I don't have any problem I don't see the need to reboot it. It's not like it likely to die if you leave it alone for 2 weeks.

The reason why we always say reboot first, ask for support later, is that it forces a re connection to the CMTS which may fix a lot of problems.

Rebooting unnecessarily may cause problems too, such as if it's in the middle of a software update.

0 Kudos