cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection to new build house

StevenMB
Tuning in

Just called the sales line as we finally have a date to move in to a new house. It’s a new build but in an area with VM connectivity. Left the call very confused; apparently it’s with some team who will schedule in getting service live at the property, but there was absolutely no idea of when. Weeks? Months? They gave me no indication. Is this typical? I don’t really want to sign up for a contract for a slower Openreach connection then find VM are ready. Is there anyone I can call to get some useful information?

Would massively appreciate any nuggets of insight

7 REPLIES 7

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @StevenMB,

Thanks for your post, and a warm welcome to our Community Forums!

I'm sorry to hear you've been left confused in regards to the process for installing your property with Virgin Media services. Some new build homes come pre-installed with both Virgin Media and OpenReach connection points, but this is dependent on the Developer and local cabling network.

In your property, have you found any Virgin Media connection points or wall sockets? They tend to look something like this:
1STec Latest Model Isolated Genuine Virgin Media White Internal use Wall  Box Outlet Socket with Euro Module Angled F-Connector Isolator for TiVo  Digital TV or Superhub Broadband Modem Indoor Feed : Amazon.co.uk:

You can also check outside your property for a Virgin Media branded wall box, which will look similar to:

If none of this is present at your property, then you may require additional construction work, which can vary in timeframes. Our Sales Team should have provided you with further information on this.

Have you received any form of communication from us? Can you please call our Sales Team on 0800 183 1234 so they can confirm any necessary information?

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Yes, my wife managed to finally get hold of an engineer who has dealt with the whole situation BRILLIANTLY. Now had the site surveyed and have a date for installation so very happy. 

We were nearly put off by the terrible sales experience though. They informed me there was no service in the area, twice. Said the same to my wife until she escalated it, but thankfully we eventually got this chap on the line who just went to the site and verified, yes, we’re all good. Shouldn’t be this painful

Hi StevenMB,

Thanks for coming back to us about your install, I am so glad you managed to get things sorted with the help of a knowledgeable agent. 

However, I am sorry the Sale experience wasn't as smooth as we would have liked. 

I'll send this feedback off to the relevant department so we can improve on this in future, thank you for your insight here! 

If you need any further help with your installation, please don't hesitate to come back to us. 

Thanks,

Megan_L

So the situation here has gone south rapidly over the past few days...

We signed up for a gigabit internet connection about six weeks ago, and despite some difficulty getting a clear view of the process we finally got hold of a field services rep called James who got an engineer to site who confirmed everything was ready for installation.

We received a call three days before installation was due to go ahead cancelling the installation due to construction work being needed. Since then we have spent HOURS on the phone trying to understand what work is needed, when it can be completed, whether we can have a mobile hotspot to cover us in the meantime and every day promises to call us back are broken, no information is provided and we start from scratch again.

It turns out that a 1 metre connection between the conduit to the property and the termination point in the street is required. There seems to be massive confusion between the pre-installation team and the construction team... the construction team only do works 3m and over, but the pre-installation team have no visibility over the required work. My wife was just on yet ANOTHER call to resolve it and was then cut off.

Seriously, the only reason we're sticking with this is because VM is our only option for gigabit internet, I'm pretty disgusted with the service levels so far. Why is it up to your customers to waste hours trying to bridge the gaps between your own internal teams?

FIVE hours on the phone today. FIVE.

Still no idea if anyone at VM has any clue what's going on. I'm furious

If you have been given an installation date by VM then compensation is due from that date until this is resolved, or until either you or VM give notice that it won't continue. Keep a record of the dates as you will likely need to get the ADR provider involved.

Hi StevenMB

Thanks for coming back to the thread. I am sorry for the install delay/cancellation. I'll be happy to PM you now to find out and then advise you of where we're at with this.

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill