cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection through old fibre cable or phone line?

BM4PM
Joining in

I'm in a flat that had Virgin Media. My flatmates moved out and transferred their accounts unt to the new property. I've just opened a new account, and had a Hub 3 delivered.

I believe the new hub should connect to the existing cable (there is nowhere to plug the cable that came with the hub in). But it's shallower than the cable that was with the hub, doesn't go in as far, and it won't connect.

Phone and online help seems to be nonexistent for this. 

8 REPLIES 8

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Please post some photos. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

20230404_224120.jpg

20230404_224205.jpg

the cable that came with the hub (left) and I believe was supplying the previous hub (right)

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the cable on the right has it’s other end attached to the wall socket, then just screw the unconnected end into the back of the hub.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It does, I have, and that's the light I'm getting. But no connection. 

Why has this been marked as solved? 

I've plugged the old cable in and not getting anything from it. 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@BM4PM wrote:

Why has this been marked as solved? 

I've plugged the old cable in and not getting anything from it. 

You marked something as a helpful answer.

Your hub has connected successfully to the network, but if the green arrows are flashing it has not been activated. You will need to ring the activation number that should be in the quick start pack.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @BM4PM 

It's possible that your internet is now all set  up and working but was affected by a major VM outage which occured yesterday

If still not connected call the activation line 0800 953 9500 to activate the hub. Have your account and area number handy, and the hub serial number

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @BM4PM,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a bit of trouble with the set up of your equipment. Did you call the activation number that's been provided in this thread?

Let us know if you still need some help with this.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!