Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Connecting laptop directly to Hub 3.0 using ethernet

Hi all, noob here so bear with me pls. 

I am trying to use my Hub 3.0 in modem mode. I assumed I could connect my TV and laptop directly to the modem using ethernet cables. However, once the Hub is in modem mode (the light turns magenta so I know it's working) there isn't an internet connection.

I've read in a couple other posts that I may need a router? I'm a bit lost now- can anyone explain what it is I need to do? I just want to get a TV and laptop connected to the internet without using WiFi.

Thank you 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connecting laptop directly to Hub 3.0 using ethernet

Hi, modem mode deactivates Wifi and DCHP.  The only active port will be the bottom one or Port4.  You would need to connect your own router or DCHP switch to this port.  To Deactivite wifi, log into hubs settings page Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal, then disable 2.4 and 5 GHz broadcasts and apply settings.  Take out of modem mode.

Regards

Rich

Send Me a PM!

Here to help! I'm a Field Technician helping out from home. Find out more
REFER A FRIEND AND SHARE £100 BETWEEN YOU

****************** ASK ME HOW ******************

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting laptop directly to Hub 3.0 using ethernet

You can connect directly to the Hub using cables in router mode - you don't need to be in modem mode.  If you want to use your own router, however, you'll need modem mode.

If all you want to do is connect to your devices with ethernet then put your Hub back in router mode!