Menu
CarlForman
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Connect phone line to house alarm

I have a BT master socket and old Diamond cable socket in my living room downstairs. I need a socket however upstairs running to the alarm panel. Are my existing sockets connected where virgin media just take ownership of them or do I need Virgin to install a dedicated line of their own?

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connect phone line to house alarm

New Virgin phoneline connections plug into the back of the router, they won't install additional phone sockets but you can easily do this yourself. 

Also, check out your alarm panel, mine supported both a phone line and ethernet, and the later is obviously easier to setup. 

0 Kudos
CarlForman
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Do I just need to run an extension kit off the diamond cable box then or the BT socket? My alarm system is old so definitely doesn’t have an Ethernet port.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@CarlForman wrote:

Do I just need to run an extension kit off the diamond cable box then or the BT socket? My alarm system is old so definitely doesn’t have an Ethernet port.

Are you waiting for a VM installation to happen or just considering having one?

Is your alarm panel connected to an existing phone extension at the moment?

It seems to be a bit of a hit-and-miss process as to whether the VM technicians connect up existing extensions to the phone socket on the back of the hub or not.

Are you also aware of the limitation that, in the event of a power cut, a telephone connection via the VM hub will stop working so your alarm panel would not be able to dial out while the power is off.

0 Kudos
CarlForman
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No i already have virgin media with a hub and the alarm isn’t currently connected to anything, getting my hands on a landline phone today to test if the line is active on the old diamond cable port just wondering what I need to do if not as my alarm is so old I doubt it supports VOIP off of the router

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You obviously need the phone service as part of your package in order to be able to use it. If you have had that on your package but never actually used it, it may be present on an old VM wall socket or may be available on the hub or it may not be activated anywhere yet. You can log into the hub (which must be hub 3 or above) to check and see if telephony is enabled.

The norm seems to be that new VM subscribers are connected via the telephone socket on the back of the hub.

This hub socket mimics the behaviour of a conventional telephone socket so VOIP is not a consideration for the customer. An adapter is required to convert the RJ11 socket on the back of the hub to a UK telephone socket as per bottom left image below.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-line-faults

From that adapter, you would then just need a telephone socket extension kit from a local DIY shop which would typically have a splitter-socket/plug at one end to connect to the hub adapter and a normal phone socket wall box at the other end which you would have to wire up to plug in your alarm.

0 Kudos
CarlForman
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info I’ll check later on and see how I get on

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@CarlForman wrote:

No i already have virgin media with a hub and the alarm isn’t currently connected to anything, getting my hands on a landline phone today to test if the line is active on the old diamond cable port just wondering what I need to do if not as my alarm is so old I doubt it supports VOIP off of the router

Virgin do not 'take over' an existing phone line from a previous supplier, so that line will be dead.  They used to put in their own phone line, but now use VOIP from the Hub. 

0 Kudos
CarlForman
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So I connected a phone to my BT socket which has a dial tone present, connected to Diamond socket and extension upstairs, no dial tone, connected to hub port 1 and have dial tone. From what I can see Virgin never connected up the socket or extension at install. How do I go about getting them to do this as I need another extension putting in too fo my alarm.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It will be far cheaper to do it yourself, or get a DIY person in to do it. 

If Virgin even do it, they are likely to charge you £99 for it as you signed off the installation already. 

0 Kudos