cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compensation for Total Loss of Business

GregoryAV
Just joined

I need to know which department will deal with our compensation claim for a total loss of business telephone lines and people unable to contact us for nearly 3 weeks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

You'd need to raise a formal complaint.  You might get a few quid back roughly equivalent of your charges per day, but VM explicitly deny liability for consequential losses as part of their business contracts, so any loss of business element of the complaint will be rejected.  Your options then are to escalate the matter to the industry complaints adjudicator CISAS (if your business has no more than ten employees), if you've got more than ten employees then you need to consider consulting a lawyer as CISAS can't consider your complaint.

If going to CISAS, you'll need to be clear on the legal basis of your claim, since CISAS will uphold the company refusal to pay unless you can show some Ofcom regulation that makes VM liable, or that VM have broken some statute law.   

If I'm honest, I regret you're probably on a hiding to nothing.  The best recommendation for businesses who are reliant on either broadband or phone is to have a backup plan for loss of connection, but I appreciate that's no help to you now. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you have a VM business broadband connection?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

You'd need to raise a formal complaint.  You might get a few quid back roughly equivalent of your charges per day, but VM explicitly deny liability for consequential losses as part of their business contracts, so any loss of business element of the complaint will be rejected.  Your options then are to escalate the matter to the industry complaints adjudicator CISAS (if your business has no more than ten employees), if you've got more than ten employees then you need to consider consulting a lawyer as CISAS can't consider your complaint.

If going to CISAS, you'll need to be clear on the legal basis of your claim, since CISAS will uphold the company refusal to pay unless you can show some Ofcom regulation that makes VM liable, or that VM have broken some statute law.   

If I'm honest, I regret you're probably on a hiding to nothing.  The best recommendation for businesses who are reliant on either broadband or phone is to have a backup plan for loss of connection, but I appreciate that's no help to you now. 

Hi,

Thank you for the detailed information and I understand what you are saying and as far as I am aware Virgin Media Business are clearly in breach of OFCOM regulations and therefore could be liable to a very hefty fine plus compensation. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

VM will rely on the T & Cs in your contract. What does that say about loss of service? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.