cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coax

Mike1967
Joining in

Hi. Can anybody help because virgin simply can't. On the phone for over an hour for nothing. Where can I buy or get the rg6 coax cable Virgin media use to put cables in place during my property renovation. I don't want to use the wrong cable for obvious reasons. 

Thanks

mike

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are looking to relocate your VM connection it would be via a no fault call-out via VM @£25. They'd supply cable etc as part of this. 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The internal cabling VM use is specifically made for them. It is triple screened to prevent ingress of broadcast & mobile transmissions that use the same frequencies Virgin use. As the system has to be “watertight” VM don’t allow DIY alterations to their network coax. The £25 charge is “all in” & includes cabling & any signal adjustments required in the street cabinet.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the replies. I have gone down this road but I can't get an appointment for 2-3 weeks and I'm waiting to board the ceilings as we speak so that route isn't an option. The cable I've used is black rg6 75ohm satellite cable and all the signs are that it's the same as the virgin cable even when I physically dissect it. I just want reassuring that it'll be okay 😭😭

Anonymous
Not applicable

Under VM Ts and Cs it is not okay unfortunately (eg E3 https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions). 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mike1967 wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I have gone down this road but I can't get an appointment for 2-3 weeks and I'm waiting to board the ceilings as we speak so that route isn't an option. The cable I've used is black rg6 75ohm satellite cable and all the signs are that it's the same as the virgin cable even when I physically dissect it. I just want reassuring that it'll be okay 😭😭

Install pull ropes & the VM tech will pull the approved cables. There are so many issues caused on the network by customers making their own alterations. If signal ingress tracks back to the street cab amplifier then the entire road suffers as a result. Not to mention that it costs VM to put it right. If they trace the issue back to you, you could end up with the compensation bill for disrupting the network.

If you really must insist on taking the risk, this is the nearest equivalent manufactured cable to what VM installs inside properties:

https://www.webro.com/tv-satellite/hd100-cable/ 

Its your call!

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

VM use triple screened Amphenol RG6, it's unlikely that what you have bought will be sufficient. As others have suggested, your best option is to install flexible duct so that VM can pull their own cables in on the installation date.

Alternatively you can look on eBay and see people selling drums of the stuff who are usually careful not to include the Virgin Media stickers in the photos as I assume they have come across the reels without paying for them.