cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coax to Ethernet

narutokaya
Joining in

I've got a line running into my house spit into two cables running one upstairs and one downstairs both carrying internet, the cable upstairs where I was using the modem has broken and they are replacing it in a few days, so I've moved the modem downstairs and its working but was wondering if to save me moving it back upstairs can I just get a connection of just the internet from the coax coming in. I've got power line adapters and mesh network but the speed are not as good as hardwired so I would rather use that as an option.

2 REPLIES 2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In theory yes, but the kit to adapt co-ax for ethernet is expensive and slow.  Best to run a Cat 6 cable yourself to a switch and/or wifi access point upstairs.  Cable can be run externally btw, so don't always looks at running cables inside.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

carl_pearce
Community elder

This should work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KKshop-ECB6250K02-Bluetooth-Adapter-USB/dp/B088KV2YYL

Rated up to 2.5Gbps.

EDIT: Well the transmission speed is up to 2.5Gbps across several adapters at the same time, however it appears the devices use 1Gbps Ethernet ports!