Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Coax from second Telewest wall box

Have upgraded to TV and received home setup kit with splitter cable etc last week. Our TV is in a different room from the wall box and coax cable going to our hub. There is a Telewest inside wall box adjacent to the TV with a 75ohm terminator cap on the female f-plug end. The box was put in at the same time as the inside wall box carrying the VM broadband, which is also Telewest labelled. So I have hopes it would work if cabled.

I think I need a VM engineer visit to install a coax cable from the second wall box. There seems no way of booking this at present other than shouting for help on here - VM mods please respond.

Grateful for any other suggestions from community. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Coax from second Telewest wall box

Call it in on 150 (VM Phone) or 0345 454 1111 or (any other phone). Calling at 08.00 midweek -- is the best time - although people are still reporting getting through fine at other times with no long waits. Took just 20’ for me one midweek afternoon recently. If you get into an automated cycle of doing reboots and then get cut off, just call back in 15 mins and the system "should" recognise that you have done that and it hasn't helped and direct you to the queue for someone to pick it up.

You can also text them on 07533 051809 include account name/number and what the issue is – replies may take longer

A VM person should pick this up here and respond, but it can take several days for them to get here.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John

Having spent hours on hold and timing out, on several calls to phone support over last few days, I did get through this morning after posting here! Tech appointment arranged for later in the week.

Will update here after tech visit.

Best

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Efficient and friendly VM technician came yesterday, installed splitter in outside wall box, coax to second inside wall box and connected the V6 box to that. Then substituted new Hub and configured to run as modem to our Netgear Nighthawk router. 

Sadly, today speeds well down on before our "upgrade" - ca 30Mb/s download on 5G Wifi, well below guaranteed minimum for the 500 plan we have upgraded to.  Another call to VM Tech support in progress.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just be aware there is no guarantee of speeds using a wifi connection.
See what is available using a wired connection to a PC with a Gb lan.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks BrianY

VM said "problems in our area" when called a couple of days ago - but still very slow, around 30Mb/s from cabled connection. Prior to our "upgrade", same setup was consistently giving over 100Mb/s

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Try a reboot to see if the Hub can renegotiate a better connection using this method ...

Switch the Hub off using the small switch on the rear of the Hub next to the power cord and pull the PSU plug from the wall socket.

Give it a good 5 minutes put the plug back in and switch the Hub back on.

Allow the Hub a few minutes to fully restart then try your connection again.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just having a think through here:
Network card for PC is 1gig, so shouldn't be any hold ups wired. Yet you get 30Mb down what about up?
Wireless using 5G from router same 30Mb what about up?
Can you log 192.168.100.1 click onto 'check router status.copy/paste all listed in the headings below:
Downstream
Upstream
Configuration
Network Log
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi kbd4b

Thanks for posting and keeping the Community updated. 

We just wanted to check in and see how you have been getting on since your last post? 

Have you performed the reboot and the wired test as suggested by our members? 

Let us know 🙂 

Nat
0 Kudos