Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Coax Cable with Hub 3.0

Hi, my new flat is cabled for virgin media- there's a shotgun cable with two coax ends coming from an outside brown virgin media box. However my new hub 3.0 from the quickstart pack isn't compatible and there is nowhere to place the fibre optic cable provided with the quick start pack -  i e. there's no wall socket.

Can I order a new hub that is compatible with the existing coax cables or is there a way to put a wall socket compatible with the fibre optic cables in the Hub 3.0 pack?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Coax Cable with Hub 3.0

you need one of these

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

but the talk of shotgun cables shouts that the cable is Sky not VM - you will not be the first where sky installers have cut the VM cable and removed it to feed their cable 

you say the cable is coming from the the external box - have you actually traced it or just assumed it has

post some photos of whats inside especially the cable

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, I've just traced the cable leaving my flat through the virgin box and it doesn't go to the brown box no, it goes straight to an aerial. I guess this does mean that sky have replaced the virgin cables with their own?

Our landlord told us it was cabled for virgin, and the cables are covered with a virgin box so we ordered the Hub 3.0.

There's also a line outside from the landline that comes into an 'openreach' outlet with an Ethernet port - I thought this was redundent from a previous tenant as we were told virgin was cabled for us?

Is there any way we can get someone from virgin to come and put in a new cable for virgin from presumably the outside brown box into our flat? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

you need to book a tech to sort it - phone lines but they are busy so be prepared for long waits listening to rubbish music? or wait here - VM will pick the thread up - might be a few days but as and when they will book something

Tony
0 Kudos