Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cat 6 cable For electrician to lay (q for engineers)

Our house is being rewired and electrician has offered to run cat 6 cable from front of house (next to existing brown virgin box) to the middle, so router can be in central location in house.
Could a Virgin engineer use this cable to connect up to brown box and then  install white splitter box in middle of house?

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cat 6 cable For electrician to lay (q for engineers)

Usually the connection from the "brown box" to the router is RG6 coax (that VM usually wish to supply themselves), not ethernet, so that won't help you.  Not knowing the local circumstances I can't offer much in the way of useful alternative suggestions, although if there is accessible but visually hidden trunking, the VM field technicians could use that.  Bear in mind VM charge £99 for a "non fault callout" as well. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help. In that case, can electrician run coax rg6 from brown box into house and run to middle of house?

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@R055hur wrote:

Thanks for your help. In that case, can electrician run coax rg6 from brown box into house and run to middle of house?

thanks

he can but the question is would VM use it - they may but then again they may not even if it is the correct spec 

in the past there have been threads where arrangements have been made for them to supply the cable for pre installation - wait for VM to get to the thread and see if thats still possible

another alternative is to lay trunking with pull wires in place - that way a VM tech would be able to install the correct cable

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If your TV box will be in a different room to the hub the electrician needs to run an Ethernet cable to connect the two.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'd run the cat 6 anyway. If you ever want to leave VM makes it much easier to keep your setup, whereas if you just have RG6 run you're locked in

Also don't know your set up but if you decide to run the hub in modem mode then you can have your own router in a central location 

0 Kudos