Menu
SkipperMitts
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cannot port forward anything after package change

I had a stable hub2 based system in modem mode which connected to a Tenda router and port forwarded various services such as CCTV on non-standard ones, 22 SSH for work etc.

For the past year I was receiving a loyalty discount which expired in Dec. This caused the bill to almost double, so after some negotiations I got it back to only a little higher. It did mean signing a new contract, and even though you'd have thought things would have just stayed the same they didn't, as I noticed the IP change from the one they'd allocated me yonks ago. I stayed on the M100 package.

What I do see now is the total inability to get back in from anywhere outside. Performance is the same, noticed a few more connection drops on SSH but can live with that, but not the blocking of all inbound ports.

I rebooted the hub and router (a few times), and checked with canyouseeme.org which confirmed nothing is getting back in.

The only thing I can think of is there was some default in the router which was being relied on, but the change broke that since nothing changed in it. I'm looking at you, connection type. It was (and is) DHCP, but offers Static IP address for which I need default gateways etc.

Also, is it just possible I need a hub3 with the new change?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot port forward anything after package change

Is the hub in modem mode?

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
SkipperMitts
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes it's in modem mode.

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@SkipperMitts wrote:

as I noticed the IP change from the one they'd allocated me yonks ago. 

This shouldn't make any difference, unless you're trying to access your home network using by DNS name (rather than by IP address) and the DNS name is still pointing at your old address.

@SkipperMitts wrote:

The only thing I can think of is there was some default in the router which was being relied on, but the change broke that since nothing changed in it. I'm looking at you, connection type. It was (and is) DHCP, but offers Static IP address for which I need default gateways etc.

You can't set it as static, it won't work. Use DHCP.  I don't know Tenda hardware at all but, unless you have some static routes configured, I can't see a way that its routing table would persist through a reboot.

@SkipperMitts wrote:

Also, is it just possible I need a hub3 with the new change?

No. If the modem is correctly passing an IP address through to the Tenda router, there is no reason to think you need another modem.. 

So what next.. honestly I'm not sure.. you say the hub is in modem mode (this would be worth triple-checking)

What, according to the Tenda router, is its WAN IP address?  It should show something like 81.x.x.x with a netmask of 255.255.252.0 (or similar).

If the VM hub is definitely in modem mode, then the nuclear option is to reset the tenda to factory defaults and set it up again - this could be painless or quite painful, depending on how much configuration you've put into it and how long it will take you to do it again.. 

0 Kudos
SkipperMitts
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Well I solved this but can't think how. I reset, unplugged, backed up the Tenda, tested it with just one port forward (failed), turned everything off and left it for an hour, turned on and it started working. Only difference ... different IP address again. I proved nothing had changed my end by restoring the Tenda from its working config backup. Now the WAN IP does appear as you suggested, and I can see the CCTV's etc.

Boy that's strange. Could VM maintain a list of restricted IP's, and I somehow got allocated one which was reissued when it's lease expired?

Anyway thanks for your help. If I figure it out I'll update this thread.

0 Kudos