Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cancelling Contract

My partner on Saturday set up a Broadband contract but we have since found out that we're still under contract until October with Sky.  

I have been trying to cancel our contract with Virgin with no Luck I have now under the cooling off period giving legal notice that we are no longer carrying on with the contract and under the 14 days cooling off period is now void.

We are also verbally cancelling our direct debit with Virgin and any attempt to remove funds from our bank account will be seen as theft.

I have instructed my partner to cancel The direct debit with virgin 

Could a senior manager contact us on [MOD EDIT: PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED] as soon as possible as this is not looking good 

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cancelling Contract

As specified in your contract, there are only 2 ways to cancel your contract: Via telephone and via post. The forum is not a valid medium. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Oh dear, where do I start with this self-inflicted pickle?

At face value your household agreed to a time limited contract with Sky, and then a few months later agreed to a further time limited contract with Virgin Media, without stopping to consider the applicability and cost of exit penalties during the minimum term.  So you can't blame either Sky or VM for that.  If you do have to pay an exit penalty, check whose is least - I'm guessing Sky, but only you will be able to find out. And to compound it you've cancelled the VM direct debit, you loons!  Do you want a credit history with defaulted contractual payments, and possibly CCJs and debt recovery flags?  My sincere advice is to do whatever is necessary to reinstate the direct debit.  You may yet recover the charges VM will make (see next paragraph), but regardless of that if you default on payments you've agreed to within a legally binding contract, you'll create a world of difficulty for yourselves FOR THE NEXT SIX YEARS because that's the time scale your credit history covers.

You refer to the 14 day cancellation period for VM.  If you attempted to contact VM to cancel during this period, and they didn't respond, then there is a very high probability that you can still cancel without charge, but that will have to be backdated, and until actioned on VM's systems you'll still see the charges (assuming you reinstated the direct debit).  You may have to argue the toss with Virgin Media through a formal complaint and if need be escalate to the arbitration service CISAS.  But do you have any proof (eg call records, texts to VM, screenshots of chats, recorded delivery postal cancellations etc)?  It is highly possible that even absent proof, CISAS would take your word for it (and if VM were wise, they would), but this is not a quick process. If you do have any proof, then VM can't really say you've not attempted to cancel in the 14 day window, and hopefully they'd be wise enough not to refuse.

A final thought: Assuming that actually you'd happily have the VM service if it weren't for Sky's exit penalties, then write (Section N of the T&Cs) to confirm that you tried to cancel within 14 days, requiring the refund of all and any payments to VM, BUT offer the company the option that you'd happily stay with VM on this contract if they will credit your account with the Sky cancellation cost.  They may or may not do that, but if they've already physically connected you, then they'd be fools not to agree to that offer.

Note for VM forum staff: You know that getting hold of the company to cancel is very difficult at the moment; Can you get this escalated and resolved, since an amicable resolution will be quicker and cheaper than being dragged to CISAS, no matter what the outcome of that?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi as has been very well explained, you were rarther silly to cancel your payments as this will cause you a great deal of problems, much more than it will affect virgin who will not care as they are very used it. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hate to break it to you but you can't 'verbally' cancel anything on a forum - it's written. You need to follow the Ts & Cs that you signed up to - cancel by post or via phone. Not sure why you're being so confrontational when VM haven't done anything wrong: you signed up and now want to cancel - your decision.

Also, from a legal standing, it's not theft if they're entitled to it, which they are, as per the contract you agreed to. You need to cancel the contract.

0 Kudos