cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelled installation but never told why

samhawes8892
Joining in

About a year ago my partner and I were moving into our current property. Postcode checks stated service was available and a colleague who, at the time, owned the property opposite already had VM as well. 

Was told no cable was currently installed but that one would be prior to us moving in and installation would happen two days after the move in. However the installation day came and went with no team arriving and no messages or notification as to why. I phoned VM and was sent around various departments until the I was finally told that no cable had been installed, the installation had been cancelled (but I hadn't been informed) and that VM couldn't service the property.

I was never given a reason as to why it couldn't be serviced and the contract was cancelled then and there without further explanation. Since then I've had to take up a rather lackluster connection with SKY via standard broadband as that's all I can get but it really isn't suitable for my work.

It's now coming up to the end of the SKY contract and I wanted to try again with VM or at least get some answer as to why my property cannot be serviced despite being barely 10 meters from a property that is. I can provide the account number along with any other details but I'd just like an answer if anything.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Properties can end up being marked unserviceable for several reasons:

1) Tarmac or block paved driveways.

2) No direct boundary with VMs ducting.

3) Ducting modifications would go over budget (including blockages of existing infrastructure).

4) Network capacity insufficient to add more customers to the segment.

Virgin do not have a universal service obligation, so there is no comeback if they do decide you are unserviceable.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Properties can end up being marked unserviceable for several reasons:

1) Tarmac or block paved driveways.

2) No direct boundary with VMs ducting.

3) Ducting modifications would go over budget (including blockages of existing infrastructure).

4) Network capacity insufficient to add more customers to the segment.

Virgin do not have a universal service obligation, so there is no comeback if they do decide you are unserviceable.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If that 10 metres you quoted was from your colleague across the road, VM will not dig up the road for just one connection. It's not economic. But you can claim compensation for the cancelled installation. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi samhawes8892, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear of the situation that happened at the time. @nodrogd has hit the nail on the head with their response here. There are multiple reasons as to why this would be the case - if the team have advised the address is unserviceable unfortunately we wouldn't be able to do anything different.

Cheers, 

Ryan.