cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Cancelled Virgin package, how to get terrestial TV back?

Nelson_C
Joining in

Hi all, I'm writing on behalf of a family friend who's a vulnerable adult who has recently cancelled his Virgin TV and broadband package. He wasn't using the services, didn't know how to use them and he was paying alot of money each month. So it made sense to switch to a different provider and service.

How can we connect his TV back to standard terrestrial TV again?? Virgin don't seem to have a customer services number for the general public and they've switched off the DM feature on Twitter and Facebook so I can't contact them that way. The leads and connectors that were put in - which I'm assuming were part of the Virgin TV installation - don't fit the aerial connection on his TV. This means he has no TV at the moment.

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit vague - at a loss as to how to continue. Maybe will have to call out a TV aerial company to take a look but thought I'd ask here first! Thanks πŸ™‚

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

unisoft
Well-informed

@Nelson_C wrote:

Hi all, I'm writing on behalf of a family friend who's a vulnerable adult who has recently cancelled his Virgin TV and broadband package. He wasn't using the services, didn't know how to use them and he was paying alot of money each month. So it made sense to switch to a different provider and service.

How can we connect his TV back to standard terrestrial TV again?? Virgin don't seem to have a customer services number for the general public and they've switched off the DM feature on Twitter and Facebook so I can't contact them that way. The leads and connectors that were put in - which I'm assuming were part of the Virgin TV installation - don't fit the aerial connection on his TV. This means he has no TV at the moment.

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit vague - at a loss as to how to continue. Maybe will have to call out a TV aerial company to take a look but thought I'd ask here first! Thanks πŸ™‚

There are no free to air channels that can be picked up from the Virgin Cable (like in old days of Analogue). DVB-C is the system Virgin use to get digital tv to their set top box and is a protected signal which can only be decrypted with a valid subscription and their box. The VM Stream box could have been used as that has a lot of Freeview channels with no TV subscription for those channels, BUT you would need to still have the Virgin Broadband for that.

You will need to get an aerial installed or satellite dish (Freesat) to pick up non-subscription channels using a television that has a Freeview tuner or Satellite tuner or a set top box performing the tuner piece to the TV.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Hero

Connect the TV an aerial & re-tune the digital channels to pick up the Freeview TV & Radio services.

unisoft
Well-informed

@Nelson_C wrote:

There are no free to air channels that can be picked up from the Virgin Cable (like in old days of Analogue). DVB-C is the system Virgin use to get digital tv to their set top box and is a protected signal which can only be decrypted with a valid subscription and their box. The VM Stream box could have been used as that has a lot of Freeview channels with no TV subscription for those channels, BUT you would need to still have the Virgin Broadband for that.

You will need to get an aerial installed or satellite dish (Freesat) to pick up non-subscription channels using a television that has a Freeview tuner or Satellite tuner or a set top box performing the tuner piece to the TV.

Thanks for replying @unisoft - that explains alot! 😊  I'm not a Virgin customer and have quickly realised that their set-up is different. I assumed my friend had a TV aerial and it would be a simple case of just plugging the aerial cable into the TV! We're going to suggest he gets someone who fits TV aerials to come round and take a look. He just needs to have really simple TV set-up where you switch the TV on and that's it! Having 2 remote controls (one for the TV and one for the Virgin box) proved to be too challenging. πŸ˜”

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes do suggest getting an external ariel fitted - reception will be much better.

Get them to check their TV - most modern (last 10 years?) ones have inbuilt Freeview tuners to benefit getting the extra free to air channels.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Depending on Freeview reception it may be an idea to get an inexpensive indoor aerial from either Argos or Amazon (you can return most items with Amazon if not suitable)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali