Menu
burntbreadman84
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Canceling contract and signing as new customer?

Has anyone done this or had success in negotiating a new contract like this?

Short story is I signed a contract but it wasnt what I agreed to. I saw a better deal online for new customers.

Im tempted to cancel the contract (in its cooling off period) and sign on as a new customer (eg under partners name) if they cant give me what I agreed to.

Has anyone done this?

Or used new customer deals to negotiate a decent price?

0 Kudos
burntbreadman84
Tuning in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Canceling contract and signing as new customer?

The long story (if anyone cares) is I signed a new contract 200mb 18months £33 per month. But when I got the email confirmation it said £40.

I called up on the same day where the agent said they will sort it out and said it will go silent. I was on silent for 4-5 mins before the call was cut off (it reached 8PM where the call centre shut)

I called the day after (this morning) but the agent I spoke to said they couldnt match what I agreed with and Id have to go through a 28day complaints procedure, just to get a manager to call me (which is ridiculous as I only have a 14 day cooling off period) 

The agent said that they will put on the notes for the agents to call me back. I mean whats stopping the agent from basically letting it ring once and saying they tried calling but I wasnt answering?

So I said Ill cover the base and put a complaints procedure (incase the agent doesnt call me back, as they confirmed I cant request them if I called in......then I have the back up call from the manager)

Im going to give it 3 working days for the agent to call back before making the next move.

In the mean time I noticed a £24 for 100mb deal for new customers.

And now Im contemplating on canceling my contract during the cooling off period, and asking if they can meet the new customer deal (if they cant give the inferior contract I agreed to.....I dont rewlly need the 200mb and can live with 100mb)

Or cancelling and sigining on as a new customer/signing on as a new customer under my partners name.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

That £24 deal is only for the first year and then the price reverts to the same standard rate.

It seems a lot of trouble to go to just for a once-off few pounds saved.

If you only now want 100Mb you can certainly cancel and start again.

0 Kudos
burntbreadman84
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Well if the cant give me the £33 deal I agreed upon and do nothing (sticking with the £40 error)........Ill be paying an extra £192 for the first 12 months alone.

Keep in mind the deal I signed up for is 18 months......so even when the £24 reverts bavk to standard price, Id probably still be paying more for another 6 months.

I forgot to mention the £24 deal also come with £50 amazon credit on top.

I wasnt really benefiting from the extra speed to begin with. The last contract I signed the said the lowest price the could give me was £33 , but I had to upgrade to 200mb for the duration of the contact.

If I can save £200+ Ill save it. More so because.The VM staff member has signed me onto a tarrif £7 a month more than I agreed to (whether intentionally or unintentionally)

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You can certainly do as you say but it has to be in another name at the same address with different bank details. Ie your wife or partners name. Otherwise you won't be classed as a new customer and your price will be automatically increased to the standard rate after your order goes through. 

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Z92 wrote:

You can certainly do as you say but it has to be in another name at the same address with different bank details. Ie your wife or partners name. Otherwise you won't be classed as a new customer and your price will be automatically increased to the standard rate after your order goes through. 

and if you do that you will probably not get continuous supply - you give 30 days notice - the new user can apply to join but nothing will happen until after your end date when new equipment will be sent out as a quick start - i would guess the minimum period you will be off line would be 14 days - it may be longer

Tony
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I can't see why in law you'd need a different bank account for a partner to be legally classed as a new customer.  Having a joint bank account may pool your resources, but it doesn't mean that any contract with a third party signed by one of you would be enforceable against the other. For a bank joint account you have "joint and several liability" meaning that either or both of you can commit the resources of the account, and would be jointly liable to the bank for any liabilities, but that is because you signed a contract that specifically said that - it has no relevance to the likes of Virgin Media.

Whether VM's clunky customer systems can cope, who knows?

Bear in mind that if your partner signs as a new customer, then chances are VM would want your existing equipment returned, and they'd send out a new/refurbished set to the partner, so it may not be a smooth handover, and that if you have an existing VM email address that will (or should be) be lost forever.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

By different bank details I'm thinking just a different name I don't think they'd care if the account number was the same as it could be a joint account. 

But yeah regardless its a lot of hassle and possible downtime to save a few quid.

That said I've just had a leaflet through the door for invitation to vx fibre aka Lula connect. Hmmm. £30 per month for a Gigabit connection as a new user. £650 installation fee though yikes! 

0 Kudos
burntbreadman84
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Most of the points that have been mentiont Im OK with.

I can sign under parthers name and bank account. I understand the temporary price (its no different to my current contract)

Its the downtime hurdle I guess I have to decide if its worth pursuing the new customer avenue.

If only they signed me on for the £33 contract I agreed to and not put me on a £40 a month contract (that was never even mentioned in the phone conversation)

Combined with all the internet issues that Ive had for 6 months (which have finally been fixed)

I seem to be have issues after issues with VM this year....... Sigh

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

giving 30 days notice may be the answer - outbound retentions can ring [not guaranteed] and make you an offer t stay - usually better than anything normal agents can offer - usually a one time call so take it or leave it

Tony
0 Kudos