Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cancel Broadband Service is becoming impossible

Hi,

I am trying to cancel my broadband service from months now. These guys are making it impossible for me to reach them for cancellations. I have tried calling them, emailing them which always fails and chat on the website doesn't work either.

I have finally cancelled my direct debit. I am now out of UK and handed the equipment to a friend. I am not sure if Virgin media can ever be contacted to make them understand I don't want their service anymore.

Can anyone help me understand how they can be reached to return their router and cancel the service?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cancel Broadband Service is becoming impossible

Write to them at:

Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Diamond Plaza, Daleside Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG2 3GG

And ask them to send a returned equipment package to whoever's got the gear.  Be aware there have been some fluff-ups with returned kit of late, so it is always possible that no returns pack will arrive, or VM may deny any knowledge even after it has been returned.  If you've cancelled the DD and don't intend returning to the UK then don't worry - you'll have tried your best.

If you are returning to the UK, then cancelling the DD will probably have been treated by VM as a default on a credit agreement, and that'll show up in your credit history file, with unhelpful consequences for you, and you'll have to put some effort into getting that ironed out with VM and a "Notice of Correction" or similar added to the credit history.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It is sad that I have to post a physical letter to them to get some action done. I am not sure that would even help given their support standard.
I even tried searching for an open office in London but that didn't work either.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you send a letter recorded delivery the contract is deemed cancelled as per the post mark of the letter (but you really should specify the date in the letter too) 

Cancelling the DD will just get them to send you automatic letters charging you more fees should you ever want to return to them, and a black note on your credit report for non payment. 

If you ring at 8am and go through "Thinking of leaving" you'll normally get someone to answer the phone within about 10 minutes however. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sending a letter to the address in your contract is the proper way to end the contract. And it's far more reliable than phone calls that don't give you any record of what's been understood or agreed.

0 Kudos