cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we cancel VM due to Wifi Hotspot withdrawal?

rem45
Joining in

Just had an email from YouFibre saying that VirginMedia customers can leave their contracts early without penalty until the end of October due to them withdrawing the Public Wifi Hotspot feature.

I can't find anything about this elsewhere, and the YouFibre chat bot suggested I phone Virgin to ask...like they're going to make it that easy 🙂

Anyone else heard anything about this? Our contract is only a few months old but I'm keen to move if I can.

13 REPLIES 13

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Users are being sent emails saying that they can cancel by the end of October if they do not agree with the price rises and amended contact from April next year. I have not seen anything about cancelling due to the demise of WiFi hotspots.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@rem45 wrote:

<snip> Anyone else heard anything about this? Our contract is only a few months old but I'm keen to move if I can.

There are clauses in VM's T&Cs which state you can leave, without EDF, if VM makes changes which are 'not exclusively to your benefit' but these refer to 'core services' not 'add-on' services.

Usual deal, if VM is going to allow you to invoke that right, is they send you a letter/email with a time-limited window when you can leave with no EDF.

Refer to Section N of the T&Cs, current version below, for the full details

https://prod.ctassets.virginmedia.com/uploads/Terms_and_Conditions_TV_Fibre_and_Phone_FROM_01_MAY_20...

I'd be fairly doubtful VM would allow the hotspot closure as an 'out' from the contract. Could certainly be a way to lose a lot of customers if VM did.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you post up the email - with any personal/sensitive data blacked out.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

There is no email. I believe what goslow was saying was that IF, VM were going to allow users to leave penalty free on that basis then they would be sending emails or letters out explaining this and offering a limited time window for customers to take advantage of it.

I also agree that this is not going to be considered as a ‘core service’ and it’s removal is not going to seriously impact users’ overall experience, and hence, no, they won’t be allowing people to leave penalty free because of this.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, I got the withdrawal hot spot email, but there was no mention of getting to leave early.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Vinegar wrote:

There is no email. I believe what goslow was saying was that IF, VM were going to allow users to leave penalty free on that basis then they would be sending emails or letters out explaining this and offering a limited time window for customers to take advantage of it.

I also agree that this is not going to be considered as a ‘core service’ and it’s removal is not going to seriously impact users’ overall experience, and hence, no, they won’t be allowing people to leave penalty free because of this.

jbrennand did actually post before me and, I think, he was referring to the YouFibre email at #1. For some reason my post appeared above his.

Correct, my post was hypothetical if VM did decide to give customers a way out it would be by letter or email with a time limit to leave by.

Adduxi did post about receiving an email from VM ref hotspots

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/No-more-VM-Wifi-Hotspots/m-p/5404371

but no mention of any leaving option (unsurprisingly!)!

Edit: Crossed with Adduxi

Cunny71
On our wavelength

Cunny71_0-1695919034124.png

This was the wording in the email I got.

I'd be interested to know if this is correct.

Cunny71
On our wavelength

just found this email from Virgin Media on 15/09 detailing the changes in T&Cs including retiring the wifi hotspots and price changes.

Cunny71_1-1695919319668.png

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I think removal of Hotspots is because they are more hassle than they are worth. And they are not tied in with any price rise.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection