cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't start new broadband connection

sacambs
Joining in

I'm trying to start a new virgin connection in a new house.  The previous owners also used virgin and their broadband worked just fine until last Wednesday.  We moved in on Thursday and got the kit (Hub 3) on Friday.

The box is installed and looks OK - I get the two green lights and then it settles to a steady white light, but I get no internet connection.  If I go to the web interface on the box it just says it's updating settings, but it's said that for 3 days now.

The online connection check fails saying "Sorry we can't run a test on your services right now", and I've phoned the support line mutliple times.  Each time they say they need to run more diagnostics but can't.  Every time I call they say it should just start working on its own, but the time gets longer.  It went from 2 minutes, to an hour, to the end of the day, to 24 hours, and they've just said it might be 3-5 business days, but no one seems to have any idea of what is actually wrong.

Both myself and my partner work from home so we're going to be really stuck as of tomorrow since we can't work.  We're at our wits end trying to get through to anyone who can actually make any progress on this.  The people on the helpline are always helpful and polite but they can't see what the problem is.

Any suggestions for other things we can try?  Anyone from virgin who is able to escalate this so we stand any chance of getting things working.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

i've pretty well stopped posting but the lack of help from the vip is sort of poor - you dont say what hub it is - your description of the light sequence suggests a hub 3 so assuming it it a white light after greens suggests the line is good - try the [poor] help you have and try the activation number but again a white light on a hub 3 suggests its activated - after that a full reset is the next course of action

other than that it could simply be that levels into the hub are way off and the old customer removed attenuators that brought the line into spec - is there anything about that will screw between the input cable and the hub

if you can get into the ui post some levels

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @sacambs 

The equipment is usually pre-activated, however you might need to call 0800 953 9500 to activate the hub.

If so have your account and area number handy, and the hub serial number.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

i've pretty well stopped posting but the lack of help from the vip is sort of poor - you dont say what hub it is - your description of the light sequence suggests a hub 3 so assuming it it a white light after greens suggests the line is good - try the [poor] help you have and try the activation number but again a white light on a hub 3 suggests its activated - after that a full reset is the next course of action

other than that it could simply be that levels into the hub are way off and the old customer removed attenuators that brought the line into spec - is there anything about that will screw between the input cable and the hub

if you can get into the ui post some levels

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

Tony.
Sacked VIP

sacambs
Joining in

It doesn't let me get that far. It asks me to select a language and then goes to a page saying "update in progress" and won't let me go anywhere else from there.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @sacambs 

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about the issue with your broadband

Have you attempted to call the activation number as advised above? If not, please give this a try and we can continue assisting further if needs be

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs