cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I find out when fibre will be available?

mojo-chan
Dialled in

Is there somewhere that VM lists expected dates for fibre roll out? At the moment my area only has slow DOCSIS.

39 REPLIES 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

who is going to pay the Billions it will cost to reinstall fibre to everyone, Replace all modems and tv boxes and replace every network device on the core network.

Its not going to happen.

plus its not as easy as giving everyone 10gbps you have to have a backbone network to support it. SO now a street with 100 people needs 1000gbps to leave the street let alone what speed needs to the fibre leaving a city

How fast is Internet speed in Japan?
42.77 Mbps

Japan has an average Internet speed of 42.77 Mbps. The average time to download a 5GB movie is 15 minutes and 58 seconds.13 Dec 2019

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mojo-chan wrote:

Why stick with DOCSIS at all though?

IP over fibre will easily provide enough bandwidth for all VM's channels and more. MPEG-4 is pretty old now too, and not great for 4k/8k.

You again just assume that everyone wants (& can pay for) what you want. We don’t. If Virgin stops providing what I want I will go elsewhere. The same for the rest of us.

Why does 95% of the USA still operate DOCSIS over HFC. Because it does what the customers want at a price they are happy to pay.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Those speed numbers for Japan are nonsense. Probably just measuring WiFi or mobile internet speed.

In all major cities the baseline offer now is 10,000/10,000. Some places are still on 2,000/2,000, waiting for upgrades. 45mbit hasn't been available most places for years, and all sales if ADSL ceased a few years ago now.

Delivering TV over is a case of giving customers IPTV boxes. Like VM they upgrade people periodically as needed. They skipped 4k for broadcast TV and went direct to 8k, so obviously new equipment was needed. It's a cheap way of doing it too, you don't need separate TV equipment on most of the network, just the same IP gear used for internet.

You should do some homework and look into how it works, it's a well designed system.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure they are nonsense because they do not back up your argument. Well they are taken from speedtest site.

I know how it works i'm a system engineer. i go this for a living.

Post the links to the consumer ISP over there and the 10,000Mbps speeds?

You know the problem with speedtest sites? People only tend to go to them when they have a problem.

NTT, kinda like BT in Japan, offers 10,000/10,000 in most large cities: https://flets.com/cross/

Of course most people can't actually get 10,000mbps on a speedtest site because a) their router can't handle 10,000mbps and probably only has a 1Gbps WAN port, and b) these speedtests sites usually can't handle 10,000mbps either.

Some details of pricing: https://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/hikari/10g_plan/

(about £46/month)

Of course they aren't the only ones. Softbank offer 10G too, as well as 4k8k TV service over the same fibre optic line: https://www.softbank.jp/ybb/sbhikari/10g/

For a few more Yen some areas can get Sony's 20,000/20,000 offering: https://www.nuro.jp/s_plan/20gs/

Maybe time to reconsider your career, or at least try to keep up to date with last year's developments. 10,000mbps symmetrical has been the baseline consumer offering for most Japanese people since April 2020.

Anonymous
Not applicable
doesn't look that wide spread but i can't translate alot of the site 🙂 BT have to legally cover the whole of the UK. so its not really like BT.

Can't find out if there are any bandwidth or fair use limits.

But looking at the average for Jp on speedtest it doesn't look that widely use or the average would be over 200mbps

It covers most of the population, all major cities. The greater Tokyo area alone is tens of millions of people. There are no bandwidth or fair use limits. They don't even mention them because they ditched them decades ago back in the early 2000s.

As I say, my guess would be that the speedtest site is mostly measuring bad wifi and mobile connections. The baseline for fibre was 2000/2000 for years prior and most people couldn't even hit that, due to their router not being fast enough and their PC having only a 1000mbps capable ethernet port.

Virgin is pretty much where Japan was 15 years ago.

If you think virgin sucks then you would hate my area - the fastest openreach based fibre in my area is 80 and where i am i was lucky to get 40! Virgin is actually the best provider in my area with 1gig available... i recently switched to the virgin on the 200 service and its amazing. Stop acting like a spoilt brat be thankful for what you can get/have.

A little update. Apparently we will be able to get fibre here from the summer, 1000/1000. Not from Virgin, obviously.

Hopefully a bit of competition will spur VM and BT on.

Finally got 1000/1000 fibre via the Cityfibre network. Works great, for both upload and download.

The upload speed in particular is a massive step up from what Virgin offers. Things like cloud backup become much more viable with 1000mbps upload speed.