Menu
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Can / Do I turn off router box at end of the day?

Hello,

I am a complete newbie to virgin media and have only been using VM broadband for a few hours - so far I'm extremely impressed. Compared to my old provider, who were utterly shamefully awful!!!

I've never had a router box before though, so my question is, when i work from home and have finished working and don't need to use my wifi any more for that day, can/do I turn off my router box at the wall using the power switch? Or do i have to leave it on?

My previous provider i had a little handheld box which i just turned on/off when i needed to use it, i didnt know if that was the same with the router box, mine is a Hub 3.

Sorry if thats a daft question.

Thank you, Alison

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can / Do I turn off router box at end of the day?

You can turn the hub off overnight if you want (I have mine on a timer switch), but bear in mind whether doing it manually or by timer that the hub takes about seven minutes to restart. 

There's no reason that a hub needs to be left on 24/7, and as standby power consumption is about 12 watts it's not very eco-friendly to leave it running all the time if your routine is predictable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Just joined
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, that is very helpful.

I do set times when I work from home so I know when I'll need to switch it on by etc.

And outside of these times I can use my phone to browse the internet if needed etc.

Thank you for your advice.

0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I do this all the time and have had no problems for several years.  It's a good way to catch scammers out as well.  How would they know if your "router is compromised by many countries" (or reporting errors etc) if it's switched off?

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos