cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cabling to house

JMH1794
Joining in

Anyone know if cabling installed in 2015 is compatible with the latest Giga speeds or would it need replaced to achieve that?

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes it should be fine as most of the network is still fibre to the cabinet and copper cabling to the homes.  Use the postcode checker to see whether you can actually receive the 1GB package

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

But isn’t it supposed to need fibre direct to house? I’m assuming they installed a copper cable in 2015?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Well my cables were installed 20 years ago and I can get 1GB.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

What is the point of FTTP then? Surely the fibre cables are allowing these speeds. Maybe you are paying for the 1GB speed but you aren’t actually getting it through a copper cable! I’m dubious about paying a high price for something without getting the full service stated.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Someone else needs to comment...... but you will be getting the "full service" in regard to bandwith and speeds. I am on a 200 package and get 220. Others on the GB package (with copper coax connections) are getting the full ~960 Mbps. You can never achieve 1000 Mbps due to "overheads" and technical limitations - oh and ~600Mbps on a single wifi connection - unless you have your own Wifi6 router.

What is it that you need the high bandwith for?

FTTP reduces latency - just search the fora and see the difference on the BQM's between an FTTP connection and the conventional FTTC. Its far cleaner - and its what the "gamers" want. For those who arent serious gamers there is little real world difference.

--------------------
John
--------------------

@JMH1794 the ‘copper’ cable which VM use is shielded coax not the same at all as the ‘copper’ twisted pair telephone line-type connect which OpenReach connections commonly use. The coax connection can easily sustain speeds of 10Gb/s if the equipment at either end is upgraded to support it.

Contrary to what many people believe, the external coaxial cables do not use copper to transmit signals. Anyway these cables easily have the capacity to carry 1Gbps and vastly more (unlike DSL broadband provided over phone wires) and some are 30 or more years old. The reasons for using fibre include being easier to install than coax, have greater capacity and are easier and cheaper to maintain.

I have the traditional coaxial cable coming into my house and my broadband is rock solid whilst the TV works flawlessly with no breaks in service or audio/video problems.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Ok guys, thank you so much for your help!

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good quality copper coax like VM use is capable of up to 10G.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2