Menu
MC16
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cabling to Garden Room Advice

Dear Community

I am building a garden room 60 metres from the point where the existing VM services enter the house.

I wish to have both Broadband and TV services in the garden room and dont want to rely on wifi but use cables.

VM wont visit me yet due to the pandmemic (i'm in a queue) but the builders are on site to run the power and I want to use the same trunking

Should I run a CAT6a Ethernet and a Co-axial cable ?

Many thanks

Martin

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cabling to Garden Room Advice

run the cat6 cable and run a cable pull cord.

you can't use your own coax, only VM can supply/install coax for their network, but if you install a pull cord then VM will be able to pull the cable through the ducting easily.

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You shouldn't really run your own coaxial but if you have to use one with the same high quality screen that virgin use or you can get issues

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Webro-WF100-Coax-Cable-Clips-Black/dp/B00LGWN814/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?adgrpid=102...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
stabilo00
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

On a 60m run the current signal strength will prob not be good enougth for the tv so Virgin will be required anyway. Depending on who comes they may or may not use the coax if you have put it in yourself.
0 Kudos
andrew987
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Personally I'd add multiple CAT6 cables (and a cable pull or coax). That would then give the option of transmitting the HDMI from the TV box over CAT6 if you decided not to/couldn't run coax for whatever reason.

0 Kudos