Menu
freezer
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Cabling Problem

We are in the process of moving to our new home and have arranged swap over / installation date. The house we are moving to does not have cable, so arrangements were made for cabling team to run cable from street to front of house.  I requested that they notify me when they would like to do the job as I wanted to be present when they did the job.

We have had front garden dug over so there is just soil right up to bay window. I was told twice that I would be contacted to notify me when they were coming. Unfortunately, no one contacted me and we noticed today that brown box has been installed under the window.  The problem (apart from not being notified) is that it is really shallow. Initially the green corrugated tube goes under soil maybe 5cm, but then rises back up, so it is literally just a couple of cms from the surface at most. If you kick over some of the soil it is exposed!

Surely this is not good practice. Surely it should be a spades depth at least? This will pose problems if we want to block pave as it will be in the way, but more importantly it means we can easily cut through it when digging / planting etc. 

Given that we currently have no turf it should have been even easier for them to dig it down appropriately.  I have spent all afternoon on the phone going from department to department to try discuss this. Really dissapointed with the communication, the fact they went on to my property without notifying me and of course for not really burying the cable.

Wouldn't virgin want to avoid the cable being damaged so easily?  Its not as as if they did it close to side hedge.  It is clearly going to be damaged at some point in the future.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cabling Problem

Typically they bury it just deep enough to not be seen as most of the time they don't seem to have access to a shovel!

But that said the green protective casing that it should be in is pretty sturdy and should prove as a reasonable point that it's there. 

0 Kudos
freezer
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The problem is not only that it will get damaged but it is in the way in terms of having a turf or paving. it runs across the garden. We cant not have a proper garden just because the cable is not buried. We will need to grow grass, plants, dig etc. 

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Whilst you can wait for VM staff and they might be able to contact the area manager to adjust the cabling if there is enough slack.

By far the easiest and quickest solution is DIY. I assume the internal installation is not yet complete so open the VM box and see how much slack there is, then use up this slack by dropping the cable further into the ground. This is what I did, and my neighbor.It's less stressful than talking to VM!

freezer
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi thank you for the advice. Its a good idea though i cant imagine it has enough slack. And not sure I want to go opening the brown box. Hopefully they will come out and resolve the problem for me. Will wait to hear from VM.

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Freezer, 

Thanks for your post 🙂

I am sorry to hear you have not had the best experience with our installs team.

I have located your account and can see that you have been in touch with our team and they have arranged for this to be sorted

Zoie

0 Kudos
freezer
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zoie, I got two emails today saying that following a chat today (which did not happen) that the complaint was closed and the resolution was an apology! No one has spoken to me, no one has apologised and no one has come out to see the cable. How do I feedback that this response is not accurate or satisfactory? I have got through to pre installation team since i got the emails, and they have arranged for an engineer to come out on Monday to have a look. Im told they will call me first so I know when to go to the house. Will see how that goes, but how do I feedback on how the complaint was dealt with.
0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I am so sorry to hear this, I can investigate your complaint for you. So we can come to a resolution that you want.

I will pop you over PM and we can go from there

Zoie

0 Kudos
freezer
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Zoie, I have sent you a PM. Engineers did come out to review the situation and were very helpful. They said they would arrange for amendments to be made to the cabling position, depth and where the brown box is. 

0 Kudos
freezer
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The problems have continued. After many phone calls and messages, and after closing the complaint with inaccurate info and without getting in touch with me, a fault was registered and engineers came out the other week. They agreed it need to be buried deeper (its currently visible) and also agreed to reposition the brown box so enters the house in a better place, they also said they would route the cable a foot or so to the right so its to side of garden close to hedge. They said they would make notes and arrangements. My installation date is a week away and they have not been round so I thought I would phone yesterday to find out when they are coming, after getting passed to different departments it was confirmed that no job has been logged!  They did eventually find some notes about burying the cable deeper, but no other detail. I am told they will come out tomorrow and will phone me, but they never did last time - so I do not know how I am supposed to ensure the brown box is put in the right place etc.  So hard to communicate with Virgin Media over all this; no one seems to be able to communicate easily or directly with team that lays the cables. Really unhappy with it all. Would have been easier to get Sky.

0 Kudos