Menu
CalumCockburn
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Cable too short

hello, I’ve installed my broadband with quick set up but the cable from my NTL wall socket ‘splitter by broadband’ cable is too short.

Can I have a longer cable sent out? This one only seems to be around 1m but I need 3m or 4m.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable too short

@CalumCockburn wrote:

hello, I’ve installed my broadband with quick set up but the cable from my NTL wall socket ‘splitter by broadband’ cable is too short.

Can I have a longer cable sent out? This one only seems to be around 1m but I need 3m or 4m.

You'd require an engineer visit as cable length can affect signal strength.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Extending that cable could be expensive, as a non fault technician visit required for that could cost you £99. 

Is there a reason you need to extend that cable? Is it due to weak WiFi or your TV ? Or not being near your PC/etc ? 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I would get in touch with Virgin PDQ and ask for technical assistance to extend the cable, as alterations to the initial install are only free for a limited period after which they will charge you £99 for a callout.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
CalumCockburn
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes so that I can extend it to be closer to the corner of the room that my tv is in. 

0 Kudos
CalumCockburn
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, what’s a virgin PDQ? I would have thought that they should just have a number of longer cables available given so many people likely look to position their hub/tv etc in different parts of the room to the telewest box. 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@CalumCockburn wrote:

Thanks, what’s a virgin PDQ? I would have thought that they should just have a number of longer cables available given so many people likely look to position their hub/tv etc in different parts of the room to the telewest box. 

I mean get in touch with them PDQ (Pretty Damn Quick) or they will charge you for the alterations.

Cables are a set length as longer ones affect signal levels that require access to the street cabinet to adjust.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
CalumCockburn
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, do you know best number to get them on? Or can they contact me here?

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The best number is the standard customer services number — 150 from a virgin phone and the 0345 number otherwise. Its in your welcome pack. 

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@CalumCockburn wrote:

Thanks, do you know best number to get them on? Or can they contact me here?

be sure to say the self install is faulty and you need the tech to sort it - keep it simple otherwise they are going to try to change you £99 for a non fault callout

Tony
0 Kudos