Menu
Highlighted
Just browsing
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Cable too short!

Hi

I’ve just gone through the quick setup and all is good - the box is working and the connection speed great. However, the broadband cable is a bit too short so I wanted to get a longer one but I’m not sure what type of cable it is.

I have the fast fibre connection to a Hub 3.0 - if anyone can help that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cable too short!

Recently the cable provided is a fixed length.

You cannot use cables that are not provided by VM.

What's the reason why the cable is too short?

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

you will need to get vm out to installs longer cable

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Just browsing
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have the cable coming in the front wall but all my Tv and tech is setup on the opposite wall in a media unit so I want a longer cable so the box can sit with all the other equipment.

Do VM sell a longer cable?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

no VM do not sell cable.
If you need to box moving VM need to do it. you can;t modify the cabling yourself as this can damage the network for everyone in the area.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Just browsing
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help, I guess there’s no work around.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the post Weeny.

If you want something relocating this would be a chargeable visit so the engineer can fit any extra cabling needed.

This would cost £99 as it's a non-fault call-out. 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

hmmm not sure i agree with the chargeable bit above if this is a new self install - you should call it in as faulty in that the box is not where you want it or damaged [maybe] and they should relocate things FOC

i would have thought VM here would have offered that @Emily_G 

if they disagree i would look to invoke the 14 day cooling off period to leave - that should concentrate someones mind

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I assume that this is just a change to the internal cable arrangement from the VM box on the wall?
You should not change the position of this box or where the cable comes into the house.

If it's just the internal cable, then search online for suitable cables terminated with connectors and adapters

There are some things you need to consider, however.

There must be an isolator between the incoming coax and any equipment in your home. Unfortunately VM don't seem to have a standard for this.
Sometimes this isolator is in the box inside your home. Sometimes it's a separate inline tube like device. More recently it's incorporated in the coax that goes between the wall box and your equipment.
This isolator prevents the most common problem with CATV systems which is ground loop noise ingress.
If the only isolator you have is in the existing cable you must keep this connected.

The second thing to consider is that a longer cable will introduce some signal loss. Whilst this will be small if your signals are already marginal then this could cause problems which could only be resolved by a chargeable call out.
It's probably best to check your signal levels with the current setup by going to the SH3 web interface.

Finally, if you do have any problems in future and require a call out then it would be best to revert your arrangement beforehand.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

what point do you cut off the self install cs manned install?

if the customer orders a self-install, activates, and uses the service I'd say that point the self-install is complete and chances are chances.

If the install was never completed or activated then sure manned install should be free as the install was not completed.

If someone does a self install and wants it moving 3 months later would that be acceptable? Its a hard one as everyone will have different views of when a install is complete

0 Kudos