Menu
Vorlina
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Cable pull - pre installation

Hi all

We bought the Oomph package in the Black Friday sale for £67pm, and I had an engineer appointment in the diary for today (delayed, but not a problem).  Last Thursday, I got a text message saying that the installation was on hold due to extra work being required outside - this made sense to me as only half the street was connected in 1999. 

On Sunday two chaps turned up, drew a green dotted line on the pavement past my neighbours' houses from the main box to my driveway, and then drove away.

I checked our local council's roadworks website, and noted that Virgin had recorded a roads access plan for yesterday/today. No contact from Virgin to me thus far.

Yesterday one man turned up and examined the lines. My neighbour, who understandably is a little concerned about having the path outside his house dug up, told him that "he thought it was all off". The chap in question told my neighbour it was a big, expensive job and drove away.

Now when I log into my virgin media account - it is saying I am being disconnected. No communications from Virgin to me since the text on Thursday. One minor concern is that a) the green dots have now washed off and b) my mobile has already transferred to Virgin under the Oomph package. 

Is anyone from installation able to look at this for me?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable pull - pre installation

You may wish to contact the Pre-installation and delivery team on 0800 052 1734

It sounds like they have decided that your installation would be over the allocated budget, so you should hear from them shortly. 

0 Kudos
Vorlina
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you - yes, that was my first thought too. Unfortunately that number is disconnecting regularly when I call it.

Hopefully Virgin will contact me in due course - my personal preference was for them to go through our back garden, as the primary box is right by our back fence. Nobody rang the doorbell to discuss survey options with us - should that have happened?

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi it sounds like your neighbour has somewhat muddied the water with his remarks, was the engineer aware he wasn't the customer of this install, if not he may have thought he had cancelled the work. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Vorlina
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Also possible - I run into this problem quite often around here, as I am a single young female and most of the vocal property owners around here are older men. One surveyor for some house works took direction from them thinking they were my father....

I'm presuming though that given this is a legal contract, they won't have just accepted random comments as a cancellation!

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Vorlina wrote:

Also possible - I run into this problem quite often around here, as I am a single young female and most of the vocal property owners around here are older men. One surveyor for some house works took direction from them thinking they were my father....

I'm presuming though that given this is a legal contract, they won't have just accepted random comments as a cancellation!

How annoying interfering busybodys 

0 Kudos
Vorlina
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just an update:

I called customer service in the end as pre installation continued to cut out. They connected me to the field team, who have just confirmed that from their point of view (he is a "spotter"?), the connection can certainly be performed through the back garden well within any budgets. The larger green box is right next to our back fence.

The issue now is that the contract which we had originally agreed, which was a Black Friday deal of Big Ooomph plus movies plus £250 of bill credit, has apparently been cancelled unilaterally by Virgin, such that in order to get this moving again, we would need to enter into a new contract. We have a copy of the contract, which from our perspective should be respected given that we never cancelled it and the information which might have led Virgin to cancel it (ie the perceived installation costs) was wrong.

Any suggestions from those in the know of how to get our original order reinstated? Apparently the field team can't note the order as "serviceable" unless it is live. The Spotter chap is sending me a note to confirm his view though.

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, Vorlina. 

Glad to hear that the install is possible for you, regarding expired promos and offers, we can only advise speaking with the sales teams at 0345 454 1111 as we are unable to process sales/upgrade or cancellation from the forums. Most promotional offers are limited based on time or inventory, which once beyond these specified terms they cannot be made retroactive.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Vorlina
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Corey.

With Jon's support, I received a direct call from the Virgin Sales team (chap called Chris), who managed to arrange a new contract on comparable terms - after a fair amount of negotiation with his manager! Fingers crossed for a smooth install in early February.

Many thanks to all those on this forum who assisted in reaching a good conclusion.

Claire

0 Kudos