cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable installed in pavement 2019. Service check says no.

durkbox
Tuning in

We had a Virgin cable dug and laid outside our house (Barnet EN5) in 2019. We have the little black ports outside on the pavement. The infrastructure is essentially there. Roll on 2023. Houses over the road from us clearly have the service and have had it for some time. But with our row of 4 homes, we are still unable to get Virgin Media Fibre. Service checker still says ‘no’. What gives? My Sky contract is about to expire in April, for the second time since the cable was laid. And I’m desperate for a bit a gigabit fibre. So, looking to make an informed choice before I sign up for another copper contract. Any chance we can get this switched on? Or is this never going to happen?

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@durkbox wrote:

We had a Virgin cable dug and laid outside our house (Barnet EN5) in 2019. We have the little black ports outside on the pavement. The infrastructure is essentially there. Roll on 2023. Houses over the road from us clearly have the service and have had it for some time. But with our row of 4 homes, we are still unable to get Virgin Media Fibre. Service checker still says ‘no’. What gives? My Sky contract is about to expire in April, for the second time since the cable was laid. And I’m desperate for a bit a gigabit fibre. So, looking to make an informed choice before I sign up for another copper contract. Any chance we can get this switched on? Or is this never going to happen?

Could be various reasons including simple administrative issues or more technical ones.

If it looks like you may get some progress from VM, the usual advice on here is to overlap your old Sky service with any new VM service where possible.

VM's cable installation processes do sometimes fail spectacularly badly (view some topics on here about that) resulting in long delays for the waiting customer, especially when the installation is not straightforward (such as there being an issue with your property listing on VM's database).

By overlapping services you have a fall back route to Sky if VM mess up the installation and you can also fully evaluate VM in your 14 day cooling off period to makes sure it works as per your expectations.

The VM forum team will reply here within a few days and take your details to investigate.

Thanks for your reply. I’m guessing there is some underlying reason. I’m secretly hoping they just forgot to switch it on. Thanks again for getting back to me so quickly. I’ll have a search on the notes you provided.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is there no Openreach or Altnets in the area?  Worth checking.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Nothing. Our block of 4 houses seem to be the only in the entire area that can’t get fibre to home…

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@durkbox wrote:

Nothing. Our block of 4 houses seem to be the only in the entire area that can’t get fibre to home…

I know the feeling, FTTP is so close but yet so far away here as well .......

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi durkbox

Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting. 

Sorry to hear you are waiting to be installed with us, I appreciate this must be frustrating. 

I would be happy to take a look at this from our side for you. I will pop you over a private message to take a few details now. 

This will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat