Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cable fault outside Property aborts my new connection

Today was installation day for my new broadband, only it wasn’t as the engineer said there was a fault in the cable outside my property. Phoned Virgin and was told by the American call centre chap that the next appointment to remedy the problem was in 22 days time, 4 days after my BT line is closed.

The Call centre guy seemed to think £50 off my first bill would resolve the issue. I said unless I had my promised broadband I would not be a customer anymore. So tonight I am left in limbo worrying whether I will have a connection so that I can continue to work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable fault outside Property aborts my new connection

You can just ask BT to extend your disconnection by 4 days and it won't cause any delays. You're best taking that slot as any possible tech cancellations closer would result in an SMS to check if you'd like an earlier appointment.

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Don't cancel your bt then you'll definitely have a connection to work. A months overlap is worth it to be able to work. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I thought sixteen days overlap was plenty as did the Virgin sales woman

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, BT refused to extend my connection and now I will be left without Broadband for 5 days, despite having allowed 16 days overlap from the date of the Virgin Engineers installation visit. Virgin have not been very helpful at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Welcome to the forums @JesterJules 

I am sorry to hear that you have had issues with getting your services installed. 

Have there been any further updates provided regarding your install? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Latest Update

Four sets of workmen on different days have been to examine the street architecture, Finally a workman knocked on the door yesterday to say the cable had been fixed; I await an engineer to install my router today and so a resolution is in sight. 

Sadly, the whole experience has not been good one, I have been without broadband this week and have had to trek into London at my own expense and risk of COVID exposure to log on at work. Who would have thought that a 16 day overlap of broadband services would not have been enough? The lack of understanding and assistance from the American and Indian call centre staff coupled with the 50 minute wait on hold was not positive. That said, I hope things will improve from today onwards. Hope springs eternal !

0 Kudos