Menu
Ollie1993
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Cable doesnt fit virgin wall socket

Just received new virgin broadband kit.

Had virgin before so the box on the wall is already installed from last time.

The cable supplied obviously fits the WiFi box, but I have no way of connecting it to anything. The cable is round,  the gap in the wall is rectangular. 

Struggling to find help elsewhere 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable doesnt fit virgin wall socket

The VM wall box should have a screw F connector at the bottom. If it a rectangle shape then it’s a phone socket, not used by VM for broadband. You need to contact customer services to get a maned install. /

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

start outside and look for the external wall box - 6" square ish usually on wall facing road or pavement - brown or grey usually - follow any cables that come from it and go inside - if there are non look inside opposite external box as they may just have drilled through wall - as said it may just be a cable rather than an internal wall box

Tony
0 Kudos
Ollie1993
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for responses for far.

My phone line is in another room,  this box has the virgin media logo on and is definitely the box my old hub was connected to. 

Also, we are up in flats so can't check exactly whats outside. But yes there are brown virgin boxes all over the outside of the building with cables connecting to almost all the flats. 

If that helps 

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

post some photos - much easier to understand

Tony
0 Kudos
Ollie1993
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

vmwallport.jpg

Didn't realise I could do that! Thanks for sticking with me!  its saying my photo file size is too big. So this is from the Internet, but its the exact same.

This clearly isn't right for connecting the hub cable.   But its all I have, and when an engineer came the first time round they installed this and I had my hub connected here, I have no idea how. 

I'm trying all angles to contact virgin (asking to speak directly to employees and explain the guide is no good for me) but they just keep sending me the same link to view the online guides again. So stuck in a bit of a loop. 

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Ollie1993 wrote:

vmwallport.jpg

Didn't realise I could do that! Thanks for sticking with me!  its saying my photo file size is too big. So this is from the Internet, but its the exact same.

This clearly isn't right for connecting the hub cable.   But its all I have, and when an engineer came the first time round they installed this and I had my hub connected here, I have no idea how. 

I'm trying all angles to contact virgin (asking to speak directly to employees and explain the guide is no good for me) but they just keep sending me the same link to view the online guides again. So stuck in a bit of a loop. 

Where does the white cable go?

A VM HUB has never plugged into a phone socket.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@carl_pearce wrote:

@Ollie1993 wrote:

vmwallport.jpg

Where does the white cable go?

A VM HUB has never plugged into a phone socket.

i assume you dont have the white cable if your picture is a lift from the net - so looking at the box - thats a phone box and of no use today - you say you have had VM there before and if you are convinced it was plugged into a box like that then its possible but that was a good few years ago when VM did a connection via the phone line - that was all solt off to TalkTalk i think

so how long ago did you have VM

the puzzle is that is they have send a quick start their system thinks you have a previous install - not the system i refer to above

so go back to what you have - it might not be an internal box just a cable - the one in the photo would be similar 

Tony
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

i have answered your other thread - not a good idea to start it - stay with this one 

so lets try and work out whats happening when were you last with VM - thats a start point 

Tony
0 Kudos