Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cable damage. Engineer.

We accidentally damaged the cable in our garden and need an engineer to visit and repair/replace it

Unfortunately the automated chat never went through to a real person to book this and the phone line is now saying it is shut.

How can I book an engineer without bothering the overly busy help centre at this time?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable damage. Engineer.

Due to the current situation there is a text message only service is available via: 07533051809 Just send a text with the issue you are facing and someone will get back to you as soon as they can.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martyo11,

Thanks for your post and reaching out to the Community Forums. Sorry to hear that your service has been interrupted by a severed line. @apcyberax is correct that we are now able to help our customers with our SMS support line which was provided. But if you are still in need of help, let me know and I'll PM you.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying both of you.

I did in the end manage to get through on Sunday. Unfortunately, contrary to everything I have read in other threads on here I was told it would cost me £99 to get this repaired; which is a lot of money for a cable that hasn't needed attention since it was installed in (we estimate) about 2006, especially considering it was seemingly laid only about 6 inches underground with no real protection around it.

Also, and I assume partly due to Coronavirus and fair enough if so, they could not provide an engineer until next Saturday. My wife and I both need our internet to work from home, so this wasn't really an option.

I asked if I could just do it myself and was told I could. So I have had to do that. I imagine an engineer with the correct tools would have done a better job, but that was the only option I was left with.

I'm afraid I was a bit disappointed with this response.

Martyo11

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If the cable wasn't suitably protected an engineer will fix it free of charge, and protect it in conduit for the future. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martyo11,

Contrary to what you were advised, I can confirm that there wouldn't be a charge for an engineer to come and fix this. I am sorry for the confusion caused regarding this.

The only circumstances where would charge for an engineer call out is for installs or you have requested your equipment to be relocated.

Let me know if you'd like me to arrange for a technician to come and fix this for you and I'll be happy to get that arranged as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

also if you have done any work/changes yourself and you inject noise into the network you may be facing a massive bill. you can take the internet down for everyone in the area that is why DIY jobs are not allwoed

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK, I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest.

Whoever took my call at 8am on Sunday morning told me it would cost £99 to get an engineer out. I then specifically asked if I was allowed to fix it myself (I work as a Broadcast engineer so am fairly confident in repairing comms cables, but I thought there was a chance that I may not be allowed), she said yes, I seem to remember checking this again at the end of the call and once again was told I could fix it. The only reason she said I might not want to was that if I did it might go intermittent, but I explained that even that would be better than not working. I then stated that I would like to cancel the engineer and do it myself. She said I should keep the engineer booked and to call again if I managed to fix it and didn't need the engineer. 

We fixed it on Sunday afternoon by installing cables to replace the coax for the internet and used some external cat 6 cables to patch the 2-pair telephone cable. I then called and cancelled the engineer on Monday morning.

I'm not really sure how I could have put noise back up the cable doing this when damaging the cable didn't seem to be as big an issue in the first place (otherwise there would have been some protection around the cable and it would have been buried deeper). I am happy for virgin to send someone out to fix it in a virgin-approved way, but for now the internet is working fine so I will not be calling them to chase this.

0 Kudos