Menu
tessardavis
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Cable construction problems is making my installation impossible

I'm having a hugely frustrating time becoming a Virgin Media customer.

It has now been 6 weeks and still no connection. 

The cable connection needs to be sorted on the street. Every day I get told by the pre-installation team that the construction team are coming out that day. Then 6pm comes and they haven't come. Same thing happens the next day.

I had an installation booked on 2nd April (cancelled on 1st April), and then an installation booked on 20th April (cancelled on 19th April). I took both days off work as I was advised I needed to be in for them.

My next installation is booked on 4th May but I know it won't happen unless the construction work is sorted by then. And time is slipping away once more....

The pre-installation team tell me information that is variable and also inaccurate. Usually this is a promise that the installation will happen on the date scheduled, or that the engineer has been allocated my job for 'today' and will be with me before 6pm. Once I was told an area manager would call me back with in 48 hours; on Day 3 I was told they would call me by 10pm that day; on Day 5 I was told that no area manager would call me as my installation was already schedule for 4th May.

I have essentially repeated the same frustrating conversations and experience every day for the last six weeks.

I just want to become a customer.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable construction problems is making my installation impossible

Hi @tessardavis,

Welcome to our Community Forum! Thank you so much for your first post, we really appreciate it.

I can understand how frustrating it must be to be waiting for the install and construction to take place. I can only apologise about this.

Our construction team is trying to have the cables set up and get you connected as soon as possible. The best way to receive information about your install is to contact our Pre-Install team on 08000521734. They will be able to provide information regarding the construction and cable set up on your property.

However, I can see that you have already contacted the team about this multiple times. In order to provide you with some further information, I will send you a Private Message to discuss this. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right of your forum page. I will be in touch soon.

Thanks!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
tessardavis
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have now had my installation cancelled for the third time.

2nd April, 20th April, 4th May.

It simply needs an engineer to come out and pull the cable through on the street. Nobody has come out to do this. Every day the pre-installation team promises me it will happen that day and it never does. It a special kind of torture from Virgin Media.

I've now been given a fourth date of 19th May.

That's three days I've taken off work for no reason at all. 

aaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sorry to hear about your installation issues. These crop up regularly on the VM forums.

If you still wish to become a VM customer after all of the problems, check out the two links below for the VM compensation scheme.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/automati...

You really have to read the T&Cs above very carefully and see how they apply to your situation. There are a whole load of ways VM can wriggle out of paying. Often the information you might be given by various branches of VM support may differ and may, in fact, be totally incorrect. If, however, your situation qualifies, then VM might owe you a meaningful amount of money for an extended delay in installation. You might have to fight for this to be applied correctly and possibly via the CISAS arbitration process.

When VM is installed and working, it works well. If you have to deal with VM customer support, then your experience may be highly variable, depending on who you talk to.

tessardavis
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - that's really helpful and I will pursue the compensation.

Obviously though I'd really like to just get connected. When you've seen people in the same situation do they get connected eventually or do they give up in the end?

Any tips on how to resolve or who can help?

Thanks - much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Depends on your alternative options.  If you can get a circa 60 Mbps Openreach connection, maybe better to go with that then to reward VM's poor behaviour.  It certainly isn't the case that VM don't have repeated problems with new connections, and the poor communication and shambolic organisation has been repeatedly complained about with no change, nor any signs of intent to address the poor systems, processes, and total lack of ownership by any individual.

As long as people put up with this, VM will continue to assume they don't need to change.  The same applies for VM's often disappointing customer service for those who have joined.

As @goslow says, when it works, VM is good.  But getting connected can be a test of endurance on your part, and when/if you do get connected, anything that involves (attempted) telephone contact with the company stands a good chance of ending in disappointment due to very poor customer experience.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tessardavis
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - I'm getting Gig1 which is faster than anything I can get elsewhere, so I'm keen to persist. But yes it is truly rubbish service so far.

0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @tessardavis,

Thank you for discussing this issue with me over Private Message. 

I'm sorry that you're unhappy with the information I have provided and that you're unhappy with the service so far.

I can understand your frustration and apologise that your install appointment has been once again re-scheduled. We really appreciate your patience and keen approach to our services. I know this has not been the best first impression with the install, but once the team have you connected, you will be able to experience your 1Gig connection.

Apologies about the delays. Please keep us updated with the information from the Pre-Install team if you can.

Thank you,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
tessardavis
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paulina - sadly it seems that nobody at Virgin Media can help. You can't help and the pre-installation team can't help.

They simply keep telling me it will happen at the next installation date but...that's not true.

I'm unclear how to get this resolved. How can I get connected?

0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @tessardavis,

I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy with this situation. 

Unfortunately, the Pre-Install Team are the only ones who have most information about this. You can get in touch with them on 08000521734.

They are the dedicated team for installs and will be able to provide accurate details about your install.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

0 Kudos