Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Cable box installed on neighbour's property

I recently bought and moved into my new home. I arranged for Virgin Media to setup broadband, this involved some preliminary work (installing a cable box) whilst the previous owner was in the house, and then having an engineer come to setup the router.

When the cable box was setup (to reiterate - I was not even the owner of the house at the time, so I didn't know what was being done specifically), it was installed onto the neigbour's wall. The neighbour's wife was asked if this was okay by the engineer, and she said yes.

As you can see from the below picture, it is entirely on their property.

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-24 at 5.33.52 PM.jpeg

Her husband is now taking issue with where it has been placed, and is asking that I have it moved.

Will I be required to pay a fee to have this moved, or will VM cover this as it is not my fault?

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable box installed on neighbour's property

I don’t see why they’d have an issue with it being there.

Presumably it was put there because of (what appears to be) a drain on your side?

It may well incur a standard £99 non-callout charge but your neighbours agreed to it being there in the first place. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Cant see the image yet but did you give them the correct address - do you have proof of that? If so - yes VM will need to send a Tech out to relocate it - at no charge to anyone.

Call in at 08.00 to get through quickly.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much.

My concern is not getting on the wrong side of my neighbours so early on. I appreciate that the husband does not like having it on his property, and thinking it looks unkept, but I don't imagine it affecting the cost of his property.

I haven't done anything wrong so I won't be paying £100 if that is what's required.

Does VM not offer to do it without charge if it's on their property regardless?

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I gave them the correct address absolutely.

It is also very clear that this house is mine as it has my number next to the door.

I'll give them a phone call in the morning to hopefully get this resolved quickly.

Thank you very much for your help!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ok just looked at the image - its what - 6 inches out ? Looks like a genuine tech mistake by not knowing (or being advised) where the boundry between your two properties was/is ? After all - the lime green line wasn't there to see!

If you took the centre of the "gravelly section" as the "boundary" - the box is on your side - although it isnt really 🙂

Wait an see what VM say.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Community elder
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't want it moving, considering the holes that will be left behind in the bricks/mortar.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

doesn't look like a mistake. the Op has said that the neighour said it could be installed there so i woulsn'r expect VM to move it for free as you have admitted they had permission to install it.

The center line also looks like a service strip. are you sure it belongs to you alone?

If the gravel are is indeed there then you may well end up with a serviceable house as you have nowhere else for the cable to run. 

If this happens you will have a large early disconnection fee

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It looks to me that the installer didn't want to lift all the slabs to lay the cable on your side. The gravel was an easier job. 

The box could be moved over to your side, with a short run of cable on the surface.  But the cable run under the gravel limits what the neighbour can do there. What if he wants to pave it? Plant a hedge?   

0 Kudos
Super solver
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If a tech removes it your house becomes basically unserviceable as there's no where else to go. 

I hope the tech has written permission to install the cable where they have otherwise the home owner could push for compensation for damage to there property.  

Depends how well you get on with your neighbours I suppose... 

0 Kudos