Menu
AEC
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Cable Installation - Hub 3

We've recently moved into a new house.  The previous owners had Virgin Media installed and used an extended screw in cable to connect the wifi hub and the Virgin Media box into the house.  Despite trying to use the spanner provided and other spanners we cannot remove the extended cable (I think the Box on the house is more likely to come off than the cable!!).  

We've been able to connect the hub to the old cable (screw in rather than push connection).  The instructions specifically reference removing the screw in connection - does it matter or will the hub still work the same using the old screw in cable?  If not, any advice on removing the cable?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable Installation - Hub 3

If your connection is stable then I'd just leave it alone. How long is the cable? If it's about a meter length or so I doub't it'll have any noticeable difference. 

0 Kudos
AEC
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Cable is 3-4m long.

Connection seems ok but wasn't sure if old cable may stop us from getting optimal performance?

0 Kudos
Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Well you can always use a site such as https://www.speedtest.net/ to check that. 

If you start getting random connection drops we can always look into that then. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it actually works better with the cable, as that is what has been used in the past. Removing may alter signal levels which may affect your connection. 

0 Kudos