Menu
roryarbuckle
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Builder cut through cable

Hi I am looking for help and a bit desperate as I have three kids and the time of year for this to happen.

Builder was working outside and cut the cable he was aware but the cable was about one inch below the surface of the soil. 

I have been told that no one can come out now before January and I will be billed £99.

A bit annoyed as I expected the cable would be much lower and at least would be tagged some how. 

Seriously thinking of leaving but tied in until 2022 and might just pay the £240 cancellation charge as BT have confirmed they can come next week as Christmas morning gifts will need good internet and we have nothing now.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Builder cut through cable

you shouldn't be billed £99, but the appointment you got is most likely the first one available.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Of course I'd never condone it, however if you are desperate you could temp join the cable:

0 Kudos
roryarbuckle
Tuning in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Update: after several hours of calls yesterday an engineer was meant to come out for a temporary fix this morning. He came out looked at and said another team would come out. At lunchtime still waiting. Another hour to get through to virgin to be told at 5pm that the team was 10 minutes away I am still waiting.

what do I do my question is any fast way of getting through to someone to be told something then be disappointed probably but at least get an update as to what’s happening.

0 Kudos
roryarbuckle
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Leaving Virgin I have no had such woeful atrocious, useless, soul destroying support. I spent over 3 hours hours on a call today to go from support department to support and finally transferred to field support only for a message that the number has changed and the call ended.

I do not have the time to spend on a call for this length of time again.

If there is any sort of admin on this forum please flag this as truly the worst support ever received.

I will cancel my direct debit and if Virgin want to pursue me for ending my contract early so be it. I have no reason to beleive this will be sorted by them. I need internet as I work from home and my kids are getting present that rely on internet. SO thanks a lot Virgin and I not one to exaggerate thats Christmas ruined for an 8 year old, 6 year old and a 4 year old.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

they will put a default on your credit file and screw up your credit rating. The debt will then just get passed to a collection agency.

you need to call in and give 30 days notice and pay any EDF that apply as agreed in your contract
0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@roryarbuckle wrote:

I will cancel my direct debit and if Virgin want to pursue me for ending my contract early so be it. I have no reason to beleive this will be sorted by them. I need internet as I work from home and my kids are getting present that rely on internet. SO thanks a lot Virgin and I not one to exaggerate thats Christmas ruined for an 8 year old, 6 year old and a 4 year old.

worst decision ever.
well it wasn't virgin that has ruined your christmase, it was the builder you employed that ruined it.

Lindsay_B81
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I actually think its law that a cable must be of a certain depth regardless of what it is.

The cable that ran up the whole length of my garden was under 1 inch of gravel and not dug down at all.

I was getting some garden work done and carried out and they had to stop as the cable was visible and all over the place.

After some arguments and after virgin helping themselves into my locked and secure garden without my knowledge or advice I kicked up such a fuss I had two managers and 2 engineers out.

They dug the garden and re-run all the cable correctly at a good depth and done everything correctly.

You should always make sure the cable is underground correctly.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@Lindsay_B81 wrote:

I actually think its law that a cable must be of a certain depth regardless of what it is.

nope. no such law

0 Kudos
roryarbuckle
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Easy for you to say super solver as you are not the one having problems and passing judgement. The builder was careful the cable was just below the surface. My comments might have been hasty but again you are not the one who spent the guts of half a days work trying to get this resolved. 

I will pay the £240 if it comes to it I understand the damage a poor credit record stain can have. Thank you for previous advice but not your last.

0 Kudos