Menu
Eddie28
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Broadband won't work using previously installed extension

The previous tenants had virgin installed and already had a cable from the main socket in the bedroom to the living room.

I have received my quick start kit today and the hub works using the socket in the bedroom but not by using the cable in the living room. We are now unable to use the V6 box for the TV. 

Does anyone know what the problem is?

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband won't work using previously installed extension

be a bit more detailed - are there 2 cables coming in if so go back to the external box and see if they both go to a splitter in there 

or is the one that is not working going to the bedroom if so what is that connected to

Tony
0 Kudos
Joshua_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Likely the previous tenants only required the services in one room so in the external box where a splitter either is or used to be, its now connected via a barrel.

If you're lucky, check the outside box on the wall and open it up and see if you have a splitter inside still, if you do then you will be able to connect both ends and have the desired connection/service.

However if there isn't a splitter then you will need to arrange a visit via customer services.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out , all opinions are my own. Find out more

If you have found my response helpful today please take the time to mark my answer as helpful and give some Kudos.

Although I work for Vm all/most posts are of my own opinion

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how.
0 Kudos
Eddie28
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I'm not very technical and was hoping to attach some photos but the files are too large.

The main virgin socket is in the bedoom, but I don't require the services in there. The previous tenants had this fitted and also had a cable fitted going through to the living room, where the services are required. I'm assuming the issue is something to do with the cable from the virgin socket in the bedroom to the living room. The hub wasn't working on the living room so we tried it in the bedroom and it worked fine. 

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

so you have a cable from the lounge to the bedroom that needs to be connected to a splitter - i thought they put one in the quick start kit - if so cable from wall to splitter - cable from splitter to tv and cable to downstaires connected to 2nd outlet of splitter

if you dont have all that book a tech - they should sort it as its a quick start and not as you want it it should be free

Tony
0 Kudos
Joshua_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As mentioned before, if you have a point in 2 different rooms then it's likely you will be able to switch the connection yourself.

*note if on the outside of living room wall there is no cable or you can see its been cut, ignore the rest of the post and contact customer services, however if there is then read on*

If you go outside and follow the cable that goes into the living room, it should (hopefully!) lead to an external box. Normally brown in colour but can be white or grey. You may need a screwdriver to get access to the external box itself.

If and once you locate this, inside should be a minimum of 3 coaxial cables, one feeding the active bedroom, one being the main feed from the street, and the last one being the cable feeding the living room.

The main incoming feed and bedroom Cable would likely be connected with a barrel connection, you would simply need to unscrew this and screw the living room connection on.

If however you don't feel confident in doing any of this then unfortunately there's nothing more we can do for you and you will need to speak with customer service to arrange a technician to come round.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out , all opinions are my own. Find out more

If you have found my response helpful today please take the time to mark my answer as helpful and give some Kudos.

Although I work for Vm all/most posts are of my own opinion

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how.
Eddie28
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Joshua,

Looks like I'll have to get a technician to look at it. We have the barrel connection on but nothings happening so it must be an issue with the cable going from there to the living room. We have the hub connected in the bedroom for now so at least have an internet connection.

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Eddie28

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I can see you've already booked the engineer, let us know the visit goes 🙂

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos