Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Broadband installation- what is this?

Hi everyone. I just moved into a flat and i was thinking to get virgin media broadband only. Now, this is what i found in the flat from the previous tenant. There is no white box inside the flat. So can i just use this cable to get broadband, without installing this whitebox?

Screenshot_20191228-013009_Photo Editor.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband installation- what is this?

were does the black cable goto, looks like a virginmedia cable connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It comes from grey virgin media box outside the flat.

Screenshot_20191228-081004_Gallery.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

that looks as though they did not fit the internal box so assuming the cables are all good back to the cabinet you should be good to go

they cannot test if all cables are good until you connect the hub and activate but that all looks pretty new so hopefully ok

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

That looks fine. Inline isolator cable (the white bit) means the internal box is not necessary. Interesting that there seems to be two Siemese cables entering the omni box outside. Is this the feed to another room, or to another flat?

VIP pack with VIVID 350. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The other cable goes to another flat. So, do you think if i order self installation package, internet would work? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Slhtprk99 wrote:

The other cable goes to another flat. So, do you think if i order self installation package, internet would work? 

no one can give a definite yes on that but theres every chance - if it does not then you just book a tech to sort it

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Check inside the grey box, if your cable is connected to the incomer all should be ok. The only thing then that could stop the service is that the incomer has been disconnected at the street cabinet, but this is unlikely. Ensure you reattach the hey box cover with a cable tie. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

That's an in line isolator.

The cables can look confusing. I would think it's going to be okay but you won't know until you try.

I'd try it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone. What is the white box doing  ? I can have it installed as well but i do not want to put holes in the walls. Is the whitebox dividing this black cable coming from outside to two, one for tv amd one for broadband hub? Is that why we are supposed to be installing whitebox? Or is it more complicated than i am thinking?

0 Kudos