Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Broadband install - Virgin cancelled on the day!

So - moved house to a new build a few weeks ago. Had the install date of the 28th set for a new broadband service to be put in, which was great.

Fast forward, and managed to get my appointment changed to the 24th (today) - fantastic.

Had multiple pre-pull appointments put in my order tracker, 4 of which were cancelled with no reason, then finally, on Tuesday 21st, the guys turned up and completed the pre-pull work. 

Had a confirmation text the next day from Virgin confirming the install for today, then a phone call from them yesterday afternoon to ensure all was good from our end.

This morning, the day of the install, I checked my order status and it says "NaN/NaN/Nan" ... so I call Virgin who tell me there's a been a "cabling issue" reported yesterday, even though the groundwork was completed on Tuesday, and that my install has been put on hold ... backed up by a text on the install day telling me the same thing.

Please can someone from Virgin tell me what on earth is going on; I'm returning to work on Monday 27th (was originally Wed 29th but brought forward due to the broadband install) and I cannot work from home without broadband.

To cancel on the day of the engineer visit with no prior notification is beyond unacceptable, and in breach of your own Terms and conditions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband install - Virgin cancelled on the day!

Hi,

Have you managed to resolve this yet? If not I might be able to help - but may require account and area reference details If you still have an issue send me a private message.

I can see if there any notes, sounds lime blocked ducting.

To PM me, just hover over my profile picture and click Send Message when the option comes up. Please don't post any personal info in this thread as it's public.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

PM'd - thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Morning - would someone from Virgin be able to help me with this please as I'm still no further forward - Virgin have well and truly left me in limbo.

Spoke to CS on Friday who assured / promised I'd get a call from the field engineer team that day to re-arrange the install. Obviously that didn't happen as it seems to be a recurring theme unfortunately.

Left it until later in the afternoon to try and just get some clarity on what's going on - no one seems to be able to tell me. All I know is the appointment was cancelled on the day, then there was a "backoffice" check scheduled for Friday 24th, which still shows in my account.

I spoke to someone who was genuinely helpful; he put my on hold, then as he went to speak to the preinstall team my call got picked up by someone who didn't understand my issue or the fact I'd been speaking to someone two minutes earlier. A frustrating phone call ensued, and I'm now being fobbed off with an excuse of "oh, it's a new install so we need new sockets installing", then "we need the local authority's permission to connect you". Very little clarity and no help at all unfortunately.

I had a chat with a family member who works for our local authority, who called the Planning and Development manager straight away; incidentally the guy who gave the green light for the development and knows it inside out. As I assumed, what I'd been told was nonsense. All ownership for the estate is devolved to the developer. In addition, he explained that even if digging was required it would not require permission from the Highways Agency as the roads in the estate have not been adopted by them yet, and won't be for some time. We also have sockets / wiring installed in the house already by the developer, so we're good to go.

If it helps, there's a rope outside my front door which goes far down into a duct, so I'm assuming some of the length is clear. My neighbours across the road where the "junction" appears to be (where the Virgin / Comex guys were pulling the rope through to) have Virgin fibre, and so do a number of people along the route the ducting takes to get to the junction box ... so I'm hoping there's no blockage as it doesn't seem likely. It's a newbuild estate and a new install, so this ducting will only have been installed max 4 months ago by Virgin / their contractors.

So can someone PLEASE help me find out what's going on? I started work again today after 2 weeks off to move, and I'm tethering from my mobile at the moment which is less than ideal, and won't have anywhere near enough data to last. I shouldn't have to do this when I've had this booked in for weeks, and the appointment was cancelled on the day. I understand things are strange at the moment, but I'm one of a very low percentage of the workforce continuing to work for my employer, so it's really quite important that I'm able to keep on working.

I need to know what the issue is and how long it's going to take to get resolved please. I chose Virgin because I thought it would be quicker and easier than dealing with BT etc seeing as they're not working until June, but if this is going to take an 6-8 weeks as some have experienced, or worst an undefined period of time then I'll have to cut my losses and go to another as it'll probably end up being quicker. My install date still says "NaN/NaN/NaN" so I'm not overly hopeful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The fact that you have a tee with rope down it says that they attempted the cable pull and failed, so they are waiting for a construction team to come and find out why it failed and fix it, then they'll come back and have another go. So yes, I'd say a 6 - 8 week time frame would be expected as the construction team don't seem to be scheduled in for a specific date and so nobody knows whats going on until it's reported as fixed. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Ok, if that's the case then I'll be going with another supplier - the pull was attempted in Tuesday so they'd have known of any issues since then and could have / should have told me well before Friday so I could have kept my employer up to date.

If they're that disorganised and uncommunicative then I may as well use someone else who wants the custom. I'll wait for confirmation, but I can't work from a tethered mobile forever and I'd rather give my money to someone else if they're as poor as this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hello Stuart,

Thanks for your post, I am terribly sorry for this situation. I can certainly understand your frustration. 

If you are wanting to cancel we understand, as with installs and construction it can take a lengthy amount of time due to things that are out of our control. If you still want to follow the ADR process then this is fine as well, but here on the forums we wouldn't be able to interfere with this if its already gone to deadlock. 

I truly hope you get this issue sorted soon and I am sorry for the frustration caused.

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Yes, as a communications company you would have thought they'd be able to communicate better! My install was early March, I had the same problem as you and I've just had a text saying it's going to be installed early May. The CS staff kept giving me random answers that would conflict each other and it's only the forum staff that could actually tell me what was going on! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Yep, it's beyond frustrating. If someone could just be honest and tell me what's going on I could plan for it and sort an alternative out or go to another supplier.

It's the fact they cancelled on the day of the install that's really annoyed me if I'm honest - they'd have known for days if there was an issue and didn't have the decency to call or explain in advance, just a generic text when I was waiting for the engineer to turn up, and won't give me any further information.

Then the mixed excuses / lies / promised callbacks ... I'm a new customer and don't want to make rash decisions which may put me in a worse position but this is beyond unacceptable "service", and does make me question whether I should be using them going forwards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I thought the same as well, but I know other people in the area and they agree that the customer service is really poor but the infrastructure and connection are the best around. 

Comparing this with BT which seem to have far better customer service but the maximum speed around here is 40mbps compared to VMs 350mbps, and its the same price. 

0 Kudos