Menu
Kapow08
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Broadband dropping out only on one device, similar time every day

I have been having issues with my broadband on just one device, a windows laptop, for the past 2/3 weeks now. The internet goes down, I have to disconnect then reconnect, and it seems to work again, but have to do this multiple times. It seems to happen at similar times during the day, and in particular when using Google Hangouts.

I spoke to Virgin Media broadband last week on the phone who adjusted some settings for me on my router (there had been an apparent issue, but no one told me). It seemed okay for a few days, albeit my signal was still lower on my laptop upstairs than the rest of my devices, but now the same issue has started up again.

My IT support at work have checked my laptop and it's working fine, so it must be the broadband.

The person I spoke to on the phone at Virgin said to do a scan on the connect app to see if I'm able to get some boosters, but like I've explained, the issue is only on my laptop.

Can someone please help? I don't want to have to phone again as it wasn't the best of calls, and I'm at work so don't have an hour free to 'chat' to someone.

Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband dropping out only on one device, similar time every day

Am I correct in assuming that your laptop will be connecting via WiFi?

Therefore, your broadband isn't dropping out, your WiFi is, and only to this device.

Therefore it could be a signal strength issue with your laptop.

You might be able to fix the problem with some WiFi boosters, or by using power line adapters.

The best way would be always to install an Ethernet cable directly to your device, but this isn't always practical.

0 Kudos
Kapow08
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response.

Yes it's connected via WiFi - it's never had an issue before, it's only been the last 2-3 weeks and no other changes in the house of a higher internet usage elsewhere.

Other laptops and devices in the same room work no problem at full strength. When I rung Virgin they said there was an issue but now will work fine; they said they will only provide boosters if there's a signal strength problem flagged up on the connect app when scanning, but of course this is done via my phone, so isn't coming up that there's any problem.

And yes, not able to connect an Ethernet cable directly due to the location of my office and where the router has to be.

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the additional information Kapow08, do you experience the issue with the laptop anywhere within the property or just in one specific location?

Have you tried the Connect App virg.in/connectapp to scan your property, optimise your wireless network and order booster's if required?

Rob

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

what settings did they change on your hub - maybe non if it did not help but its sounds good

how is your hub set up - are the channels split so you can decide which one to connect to - is smart wifi turned off - if not split the bands and turn off smart wifi

which band does the laptop connect to if you are a distance from the hub it needs to be on the 2.4 band

wifi can change over time - a new router next door coming on line and many other reasons 

its not the laptop as such imo more where its situated - pods may help but unless you are on a package that gives them as a free addon they are poor value- a better wifi router or a mesh system will likely cure all problems but first see how the hub is set up - if you had the bands split etc when all was ok and then reset the hub for whatever reason they would all go back to default which is not what you want

Tony
0 Kudos