Menu
DuncanRoss
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Broadband dropouts

Hi,

I've been experiencing intermittent broadband dropouts for many weeks, of a few minutes at a time, several times a day, often several in a row in an hour, which usually re-establishes itself with no intervention but occasionally needs the router to be turned off/on to presumably renegotiate with the network. The "Status" check on the VM site always says "no issues known" but I have also found the phone route to this info says "you may be experiencing intermittent broadband loss, this is temporary and is being fixed....."

As many, I'm working mainly from home, often in online meetings and the dropouts are becoming more frequent and it's becoming an issue. I have of course reset the router and run the online diagnostic/reset as requested by the automated help systems but the problems continue.

There is clearly something wrong that I believe is outside of my house. Can anyone help with how to get VM to look at what the problem is??

Thanks

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband dropouts

How are you connecting your device[s], Wi-Fi or ethernet cable ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
DuncanRoss
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks, both actually - I have the usual VM cable modem connected to my Netgear Router. Most of the stuff in the house is WiFi but my office PC is wired through the WiFi to the modem.

The two-way traffic activity light on the VM modem is normally flashing blue when connection is good but when the dropout occurs, it goes green, same as when the modem is reset and first starts negotiating. I do not think this is a WiFi issue. Nothing has changed in the home, stability is normally very good and I've never seen the VM modem behave like this previously.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

What is your connection like using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
DuncanRoss
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

HI Mike,

Thanks for the thoughts. That's not something I've tested and it'd be hard to do so as there's only one active port on the VM modem in modem mode and it'd probably require the connection to be made all day to catch the dropouts. I also don't have any diagnostic tools so would need to sit and watch for the problem. This would mean nobody else could work (without WiFi) but if push comes to shove I will dismantle the network.

We've not changed what is on the network in the house and it's not heavily loaded. What are you thinking may cause the external network to drop?

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello DuncanRoss

Thanks for your post regarding the broadband dropouts 

I have had a look at the network and local area and I can see we have had some last minute 

Planned work that needed carrying out 

This is under reference number C01150468  and we have a review date of today at 17:00 

If it is still the same after that, can you let us know please 

Gareth_L

DuncanRoss
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for contacting me, I will do so. Is this work to correct a med/long term problem; as mentioned, these dropouts have been happening for many weeks, possibly a couple of months? I must admit we didn’t have any apparent dropout yesterday (Weds 7th), which is encouraging.

Cheers

Duncan

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Duncan, 

The updates should resolve any issues you've been having.

Been able to locate your account using your forum details and can see that a few of the hubs downstream levels are out of specification, and it's been around 2 weeks since your last reboot, if you can please do this and keep us posted with how you get on.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos