Menu
solarpower03
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Broadband contract ending

Dear all,

My broadband contract ends in a month. I am wondering what happens after that (i assume they put on rolling contract)- does Virgin sends a letter describing new term and price of service provision. I have got current discount, or do they just bump up the cost without any notification?

Many thanks,

Solar

0 Kudos
Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband contract ending

You should get a letter notifying you are new rate, but it can take several weeks to receive at the moment, if it doesn't go missing. 

But the price will have also been stated in your original contract. Eg. "£25/month for 18 months then £49/month thereafter". If you don't want to pay the higher price then you may get a cheaper price by accepting a new 12/18/24 month contract. No guarantees though and it most likely will not be the same as what you are paying as they are for new customers only. Renewal prices are based on area code. 

0 Kudos
solarpower03
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Z92. I am waiting the contract to be over. I move out from my currrent house and my partner will take a new contract with either Virgin or new supplier. Obviously she will not be happy to pay £49 pm.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You have to give 30 days notice - so cancel 30 days before the contract end date.

Partner will pay whatever the going rate is at the time and dependent on whether VM regard them as a "New Customer" - should be ok with a different name (or address?).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
solarpower03
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John. I would cancel the contract- apparently it seems this can't be done online. 

If my partner takes a contract with Virgin, it will be under her name and her direct debit- the address will be same. Would VM regard her as a new customer? 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@solarpower03 wrote:

Thanks John. I would cancel the contract- apparently it seems this can't be done online. 

Yes call it in at 08.00 for best chance of getting through quickly - follow options 1,1,4,4 - they will give you the hard sell to remain but just say you are moving out to a property with no VM connectivity.

@solarpower03 wrote:

If my partner takes a contract with Virgin, it will be under her name and her direct debit- the address will be same. Would VM regard her as a new customer? 

Should be fine, after all that's what happens in rental properties when one tenant moves out and the new one moves in.  There will be a period of disconnection after your contract ends and her new one starts.  Could minimise that by getting her to sign up for a "quick start pack" to start on the day after you are disconnected.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am in the same the boat, promotion period ends 3rd Feb. Price jumps from £25 to £49.

You need to serve 1 month notice if you want to end contract or you will by default move to the expensive full fat package.

From what I read if you serve them notice they may or may not call you back to offer a renewal deal.

I hope your contract is in your partners as VM will not change the name of the account holder. If you move out and your partner does not pay the expensive bill the debt will be in your name...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
solarpower03
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sayekm,

My end on Jan 21 and then the price increases to £49 from the current £30 pm. So, I assume I would partially pay at the higher rate for the last 30 days notice period. Regarding contract, the current one is under my name. My partner will apply for new connection, should have a new contract under her name and pay by her bank direct debit though the address would be same-  like a rental property as John said.

0 Kudos